Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple upgrade program

The upgrade program from Apple that was showed today on the Apple Event says that you need to pay 12 installments before receiving a new phone (by turning in your old one). So does that mean a person needs to buy a new phone for cash and then pay the 12 installments and turn in the previously purchased for cash phone for the next new phone in a year in order to start the program?

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 8:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 9, 2015 8:31 PM

See the official doc:

http://www.apple.com/shop/iphone/iphone-upgrade-program

12 replies

Sep 9, 2015 8:53 PM in response to ckuan

This is what I'm trying to clarify: "After 12 installments, you can get a new iPhone and start a new iPhone Upgrade Program. No more waiting for your carrier contract to end. Just trade in your current iPhone for a new one, and your new program begins."

So I guess I'm right...I need to buy myself a phone for cash, pay 12 installments and then the trade-in program starts.

Sep 9, 2015 10:03 PM in response to Alsatia7

No. When you start the program you get a new iPhone. you pay 12 installments for the phone you got, return the one you bought and get a new one, and it starts again.

Basically the 12 installments cover the payment for the current phone you are getting.

You do not have to buy an iPhone for cash out right. That would defeat the entire purpose of the installment plan.

Sep 9, 2015 10:04 PM in response to Phil0124

Phil0124 summarized it nicely. Ultimately, it’s a lease if you trade phones before one is paid in full. Otherwise, you make payments indefinitely unless you eventually make 24 payments on the same phone; then you own it outright.

Since Apple mentioned that the phone is unlocked, I imagine this means you won’t be tied to a carrier since the hardware’s payments are going to a separate entity (Apple’s finance partner).

Sep 10, 2015 7:19 AM in response to _Ty Cox_

Thanks, and...

Correct. Its like a Car Lease. You make monthly payments for as long as you want. If you do not change your device at any point, then after 24 months you own whichever iPhone you bought. no more payments need to be made at that point. Otherwise, you keep making payments as long as you keep changing the iPhone.

As to the carriers, that is also correct. You get an unlocked iPhone you can use with any carrier. If you get a plan with them that's fine, if you use a PaYG sim that will also work.

This should make carriers offer better deals. now that you do not need a plan, The only way to keep you with them is through better service. Or at least cheaper plans with better features.

Sep 10, 2015 9:35 AM in response to Alsatia7

One thing that they haven't made clear yet is most likely the iPhone you are trading in will need to be in good, working order. Normal wear and tear will probably be fine but water damage, broken screens, etc. would probably require you use the AppleCare+ to get a replacement before you can trade it in for a new one.

Oct 7, 2015 1:26 PM in response to Alsatia7

Do NOT bother applying for the Apple Upgrade Program if you have excellent credit! (Specifically, a credit limit on a personal credit card of over $ 10,000.)

After several attempts to be approved for the Apple Upgrade Program in purchasing the 6S, I have learned as of yesterday Citizen's One bank is rejecting anyone outright whose personal credit card has a credit line higher than $ 10,000. There is no known fix for this, nor can they override the denial. SO....if you have a personal credit card with a credit limit above $ 10,000, don't bother applying for the Apple Upgrade Program because you will be denied!!!!

Citizen’s One told me Apple is aware of this. It would have been nice if Apple had alerted its customers of this issue!

Oct 7, 2015 2:19 PM in response to imobl

Yes, what you are missing is the point that Citizen's One told me Apple is aware of this issue but has not put out this information to it's customers. Had they done so, I would not have hit my head against the wall for the past 2 weeks trying to work with the Apple Store, calling Equifax, Citizen's One and my own credit card when the rejection issue has nothing to do with me...other than the fact I happen to have a high credit line on my personal credit card, if you can believe that!

New Apple upgrade program

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.