Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Siri-remote in Sweden?

According to MacRumors Apple TV with a remote control with Siri will only be sold in US, UK, France, Spain, Germany, Canada, Australia. Other will get a remote that replaces Siri with a Search button. Why?

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 12:17 AM

21 replies

Sep 11, 2015 1:58 AM in response to InteBra

It's really disappointing that in a lot of countries just a restricted version (without Siri) of the new ATV will be available. Especially if you live in Switzerland or Austria which are also German spoken countries like Germany! If that really will happen, then I will buy my ATV in Germany!

Other people who lives in an other "unsupported country" they should buy an ATV from a country where the Siri version is available and use it in English!

I have also no idea why Apple with Siri just support these 8 countries!

Sep 11, 2015 1:31 PM in response to rsb79

Please keep in mind that I have no special info about this -- it is only what I have gathered from watching the keynote & reading articles on the web -- but the way I understand it, this Siri is not quite the same as the Siri on iPhones.

For one thing, it does not rely on sending the captured voice sound to remote servers for processing. Everything is done locally in the ATV 4, which is why there is no lag like there is with an iPhone. For another, it is tweaked to recognize the natural language voice commands & phrases Apple believes will most commonly be used to control the ATV.

I suggest doing the same thing I am for several unanswered questions I have about the product, which is to keep browsing the third party web sites that cover Apple products to see what they will be discovering about it in the coming weeks, both before & after it is released.

Oct 26, 2015 9:43 PM in response to InteBra

A lot of you are missing the point of the original post here.

It is not just that Siri is unavailable for AppleTV in Sweden and many othher countries/languages, but that Apple is actually selling different hardware, which means that a software update cannot enable the functionality at a later date. You will have to buy new hardware should Siri ever be made available in these countries/languages.

This choice is mystifying, and extremely aggravating, and I for one would like a proper explanation from Apple as to why they chose to lock out even the possibility of one of the most heavily marketed features of the new product by going to the extra effort to actually change the hardware to permanently decrease functionality.

Oct 27, 2015 1:15 AM in response to myopicpaideia

From where do you know that there is a different hardware? The remote looks the same, also with the microphone (Siri) button. It has just an other functionality in those countries. Because of that it just depends on the country you choose in the settings. We don't know how it really works but it seems to be too complex for Apple to produce different hardware for different countries. And if they would do this anyway, then the remote does not have that microphone button.

I ordered the new ATV yesterday from the Swiss Store and we will see how it works. But if there will not be a solution to run Siri (in German or English) then I will return the device!

Oct 31, 2015 2:47 AM in response to derekreilly

HI. I can not confirm by myself because Apple was not able to deliver the device on time! But there is a confirmation in a swiss forum that it works also with a swiss device if you change the country of the store to Germany or US. And there is also an other one from Japan who confirmed the same. So this is what i thought: The hardware is identical.

Oct 31, 2015 3:54 AM in response to rsb79

Yes, I live in Sweden and just got my Apple TV 4, remote is with a mic button so I really think the hardware is all the same for all countries.

However the Siri function is currently disabled (as for most countries except the 8 selected by Apple: Australia, Canada, France, Germany, Japan, Spain, the UK and the U.S)

I use Trickbyte with US DNS to get US content on Netflix and that still works fine but it does not work to trick Siri unfortunately...

So the two things that really annoys me with ATV4 right now is:

1. Siri still not working in Sweden (not even if you change store to US or UK)

2. Remote App (for iphone/ipad) not compatible yet with Apple TV 4 (need an extra remote for multi-player gaming on Asphalt!)

Other than that: Great product! When the above is fixed: Fantastic product!

Nov 1, 2015 10:48 AM in response to Elringsvinth

It doesn't matter where you buy the ATV. It's always the same hardware, confirmed by Apple its self.

" *Apple TV (4th generation) ships with the same remote everywhere. In countries and regions that support Siri, the remote is called Siri Remote. Elsewhere, it’s called Apple TV Remote. Siri works on either remote as long as your Apple TV (4th generation) is set up with a language and country that supports Siri."

Identify your Apple TV model - Apple Support

No Siri-remote in Sweden?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.