Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

DHCP causes Powerbook G4 15" Alu to lock up - fixed IP OK. Weird.

If you check my recent posts, you'll see I've been having a LOT of locking up spinning beachball issues with an old Powerboog G4.

Was just about to give up.

Then an ISP in the UK had a DNS problem this morning, and the fix was to switch to Google's DNS.

Just by pure chance, I tried changing the network adaptor from DHCP to fixed IP, fixed DNS servers, and no IPV6 on the Mac.

I don't know which it was that fixed it, but it's been running perfectly all that time. Used to not last even a minute.

How very frustrating - can anyone think why this might be? And why it was working 4 months ago when I put it on the shelf, but didn't work (even after a complete reset and new hard drive) until I fixed the DNS?

The only difference this end is a new Sagemcom router BUT I also tried connecting via Ethernet and to another old access point, and they all caused the spinning wheel of doom. Weird, eh?

PowerBook, Mac OS X (10.5.8), 15" G4 Aluminium

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 6:55 AM

1 reply

DHCP causes Powerbook G4 15" Alu to lock up - fixed IP OK. Weird.

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.