Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Why isn't the newest AppleTV have gigabyte speed for the ethernet and no 4K video contact

Why isn't the newest AppleTV have gigabyte speed for the ethernet and no 4K video contact?

Specially regarding all the Wi-Fi and frequency congestion in the homes now.

Apple TV

Posted on Sep 10, 2015 12:21 PM

5 replies

Sep 10, 2015 12:27 PM in response to G4-XP-G5

You'd have to ask Apple.

Gigabyte ethernet would probably not be hugely beneficial for streaming media locally or via internet - 8Mbps suffices for 1080p iTunes HD video. That said I'm still surprised by a variety of product that still sport 100 Mbps ethernet when you'd think gigabit interfaces might be even cheaper component wise these days, perhaps not.

As for 4k video, most consumers don;t have 4k displays currently, there's very little content in 4k, and potentially users/Appel don't have bandwidth to offer 4k downloads/streams.

I just don't think the market is ready for it though it would be nice to have a little future proofing - I suspect it might have added significantly to the cost for hardware to reliably support 4k playback/decoding too. Also, 4k and/or 3D might be planned features of the next iteration of the device.

Oct 7, 2015 5:52 AM in response to Scott Mcintire

4K could end up like the LP Quadraphonic stereo system.

I have always had the feeling that Apple is always planning for what is around the corner that no one else can see, not what is in the straight thoroughfare where everything is in site. If they do implement 4K, their implementation may end up being totally different than everyone else.

Have a nice day.

Oct 7, 2015 10:54 AM in response to Boyd Porter

Unlike 3D and curved TV's 4K will be around awhile.

When not shot on film, 4K has become the standard video format for the movie industry. Although 8K is being dabbled with at the moment.

I read an iCringely article yesterday speculating that the new Apple TV will have the capability of a 4K output and would just need a software/firmware update.

Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Why isn't the newest AppleTV have gigabyte speed for the ethernet and no 4K video contact

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.