Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Push ARD client installer pkg through ARD

Hello,

I work for IT in a school and we a making some changes with our IT department. Our administrator accounts on our computers are very sporadic and have been changed so many times by different people and the IT team has changed over the last new years.

I have all 1200 machines in our school in ARD, we have the multiple usernames are password all saved and it works okay, its just clunky when you want to make changes. I want to create a new Admin account then remove all the variations of the old one. The removing part is easy, I'm having trouble setting up the new account.

I first tried the install package option in ARD with the custom ARD client installer, it gets part way through the package install and stalls.

I then tried to copy the package to each client machine (with the copy file in ARD) and sent the UNIX installer command through to initiate it from the client site. But that stalled as well.

I have also tried creating a --nopayload post install package with pkgbuild in terminal with the following commands to create a new admin account. but again, it stalls while the package is installing over ARD.

Below is the file that was as a post install in the package. I have changed the short name to "CHANGED" for security.

#!/bin/sh

# create CHANGED user

dscl . create /Users/CHANGED

# set shell property for bash

dscl . create /Users/CHANGED UserShell /bin/bash

# set users credentials

dscl . create /Users/CHANGED RealName “CHANGED”

# unique ID

dscl . create /Users/CHANGED UniqueID 504

# group ID policy

dscl . create /Users/CHANGED PrimaryGroupID 1000

# home folder location

sudo dscl . create /Users/CHANGED NFSHomeDirectory /var/CHANGED

# set password

dscl . passwd /Users/CHANGED PASSWORD

# make CHANGED an admin account

dscl . append /Groups/admin GroupMembership CHANGED

# hide CHANGED from login screen

sudo dscl . create /Users/CHANGED IsHidden 1

# enable Remote Management for CHANGED

sudo /System/Library/CoreServices/RemoteManagement/ARDAgent.app/Contents/Resources/k ickstart -activate -configure -users CHANGED -access -on -restart -agent -privs -all

Is there anyway to create a new admin account from a package that I can distribute over ARD, without running around to every machine and running the client installer from ARD?

Thanks

Voelkl

Posted on Sep 11, 2015 2:02 AM

There are no replies.

Push ARD client installer pkg through ARD

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.