Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New Apple TV--Missing optical connection

I noticed that new Apple TV is missing an optical connection for audio. As one can see from the various user questions and Airplay forums, it is clear that Airplay is not reliable. From my personal experience with Airplay compatible devices, OEM manufactures have implemented Airplay with various reliability. The only sure way to connect to a hi-fidelity audio system was using Toshlink optical wire. The current AppleTV allows an optical link which assures 100% sound fidelity which is critical to listening to the best sounds from Itune and other audio and video streaming services without any disruptions due to various issues associated with Airplay. My first question is how does Apple going to assure that Airplay compliant devices will not cause connection issues? The second question is that is there a way to connect audio system to the new AppleTV without using Airplay?

Posted on Sep 11, 2015 1:58 AM

100 replies

Jan 28, 2017 2:56 AM in response to Adamec Peter

So, I test it on Apple TV 4 and must say, that it is crap and it was lost money :-(

1) It disable HDMI-CEC function of Apple TV 4 (not communicate with Sony TV KDL-55W805b - TV is crap too, I sold it few days ago :-) ).

2) When I listening music with TV turned off and then I power on TV, audio is for few seconds disabled.

3) When listening music (TV off), sometimes audio irregularly falls (tested by other user).

I wrote it to Kanex and reply was: "Thank you for contacting us. We do apologize our product didnt fit your need. We will take your feedback and forward it to our development team so they may look into adding/fixing these features. We do apologize for any frustration this may of have caused."

Jan 28, 2017 7:52 AM in response to Adamec Peter

@ Adamex Peter,

HDMI-CEC is a flaky protocol and seems very hit or miss depending on the manufacturer. Unfortunately in this case I think it is hard to blame Apple here. As for KANEX, there are many dime a dozen devices out there. Definitely read the reviews before ordering.

I am still surprised people are complaining about this. So they dropped a legacy audio output. Return the product during the evaluation period or don't buy it in the first place and move on. It's your money - find something that works for you.

Jan 28, 2017 7:57 AM in response to Adamec Peter

Yep I noticed that which is why I had edited my post. Sounds like you are trying to get around the lack of optical audio out and are finding out it is not an ideal solution. You are better off returning the Apple TV and buying something like a Roku.

My issue with lack of optical audio out was that I couldn't use my old Sony Wireless headphones. With the excellent support of Bluetooth headphones added in the ATV4, I no longer need them. Apple removed a legacy port and gave me a modern solution for listening with headphones. I've been using BT headphones on my iPhone for 3 years anyway.

Jan 28, 2017 8:02 AM in response to walk0080

You are too fast, read, before replying;) I know, that problem is not in Apple, but in Kanex, as I wrote, I contact Kanex. At this time I solve my personal problems in using aTV, because I buy WXA-50 amp. For TV I use optical out from TV, for music I use WXA-50.

I wrote about Kanex problems here because of other users, that have interest to buy Kanex HDMI audio extractor like product - simply for informations, that Kanex have some problems. Its all.

Sep 11, 2015 4:12 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston, thank you for your quick reply. New AppleTV has only one HDMI connection, how do you connect TV and audio system at the same time? Buying a third party HDMI spliter costs over $50. Also, most of Airplay speakers do not come with HDMI inputs. Do you have any other suggestion?

BTW, the only 100% sure way to connect Airplay was using AppleTV and connect to audio system using optical link. I do believe all Apple manufactured devices are Airplay compliant without connection issues, but OEM devices were found to be very unreliable. I have tested almost all of the Airplay speakers including Boss, B&W, Sono, and others. Just read all the forum write-ups all over internet. Only sure way to connect via Airplay was using AppleTV using an optical connection. However, without an optical connection on New AppleTV, it will be a very unreliable set-up, unless New AppleTV solves all of the wireless connection issues with OEM devices.

Sep 11, 2015 4:19 AM in response to planochoi

Airplay often fails to be reliable when the LAN cannot support the additional wi-fi bandwidth (or due to poor connecrtivity speeds due to location) for the extra Airplay path. Using wired connections (ethernet) makes it far more reliable in experience but many find no issues with wi-fi.

A convoluted solution but you could potentially use the existing AppleTV as an Airplay speaker for the new one to output to and then use the optical from that to the speaker. Some found in the past an AppleTV not connected to a display might fail to play audio but things changed often from one firmware version to another. An Airport Express would be another thing to consider and use the optical out on that, though a tad expensive just for that.

Sep 11, 2015 6:06 AM in response to Winston Churchill

Winston, I like your answers. Yes, I do know money can solve almost all the issues. The problem I posted is not about putting together another complex audio and video systems. I love Apple eco-system because of its simplicity, functionality, and design. The current AppleTV allows me not to fuss with my old audio system by simply connecting AppleTV to any audio system without adapters. It is simple and elegant, yet without loss of sound fidelity. HDMI to Optical & HDMI spliter will work, but it is an another fail point and potential point of sound degradation. As you suggested, I could buy an another audio system with HDMI input, but reason I moved to AppleTV was to by-pass the traditional audio system entirely. I hope Apple can come up with more elegant solution that DO NOT force us buy yet another device.

New Apple TV--Missing optical connection

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.