Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can you add end jumps to various chapters in DVDs?

When programming a dvd using DVD Studio Pro 4, is there a way to add end jumps to the various story chapters? I'd like to offer a separate "Scene Selection" menu and allow people to watch separate chapters. I can program starting the separate chapters, but I cannot seem to find a way to add an end jump to each chapter so that the chosen chapter does not run into the following chapter/s.

I am creating the dvd on a MacBook Pro Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Thanks so much for any help you can give me.

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 11, 2015 7:46 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 8:03 AM

You can't. That's not the way chapter markers work. Markers are just a way to jump to a particular spot in a movie and start watching from the point you choose.

7 replies

Sep 11, 2015 8:32 AM in response to ellinfromalabama

ellin

As our friend Kurt implies, DVD 'menu' controls are a limited set - Main Menu & Chapter Menu - a video is 'linear' in nature.

What you describe is a tad more interactive - you can do what you want with Adobe Director > http://www.adobe.com/products/director.html

Adobe® Director® 12 and Adobe Shockwave® Player software help you create and publish compelling interactive games and eLearning courses for the web, iOS devices, Mac and Windows® desktops, DVDs, and CDs. Integrate virtually any major file format

Take it from me - Director was my primary tool for 20 years - you can do anything you can imagine with it.

The only drawback I can see with your 'wish' is that it will not work in a DVD player - the DVD 'player' itself has the standard 'controlling' firmware 'built-in'

ÇÇÇ

Sep 21, 2015 8:03 AM in response to ellinfromalabama

I lied...

https://documentation.apple.com/en/dvdstudiopro/usermanual/#chapter=3%26section= 2

Creating the Basic Project

You follow three primary steps to create this project:

1. Stage 1: Creating the Track and Adding Chapter Markers to It

The chapter markers define the sections that you can use for your stories. You can manually add the markers in DVD Studio Pro, import the chapter markers you added in Final Cut Pro or Final Cut Express, or import chapter markers from a text file.
  2. Stage 2: Creating and Configuring the Stories

For this project, you create a story for each individually playable section of the movie. Each story contains one chapter marker to define the section of the movie to play. Each story also has an End Jump setting that takes the viewer back to the menu.
  3. Stage 3: Creating and Configuring the MenusOnce you have the stories defined, you can create the one or more menus needed to access them.

Sep 21, 2015 8:06 AM in response to ChitlinsCC

Kurt and Chitlins,

Thanks so much. I'm sorry for the long delay in getting back to you, but I've been out of range of internet service for about 2 weeks.

I see the language in the manual about the End Jump setting, but I can't see how to make it work.

My film has 15 stories in it. I have markers for each of them, but I can only see how to allow viewers to choose the story they want to re-watch, but I cannot see how to set an end jump for each of the 16 stories.

Should I be creating 16 separate Stories in DVD Studio Pro?

Any other advice you can give me on this, I'd appreciate it.

Thanks so much.

Sep 21, 2015 8:29 AM in response to ellinfromalabama

Yes, you would have to create sixteen separate movies so each could be accessed from the main screen as a selectable item. Just as you would on commercial disk where you can choose the main movie, the gag reel, and other options that each have their own beginning and end.

An End Jump is nothing more than the last chapter in any movie. More specifically, the very end of one. When you create a movie, it is automatically assigned two chapter markers - the very beginning, and the very end. You then add more markers in between wherever you want them.

So for any movie that has multiple chapters, as you press the chapter jump button on your controller (rather than fast forward), it jumps to next chapter marker, or the previous one if you press the reverse jump button. No matter how you do it though, the movie will always just run past any marker if it's playing. They are not, and can't be stop points. Otherwise, any movie you were watching would stop at a marker and send you back to the main screen, where you'd have to manually select the next chapter to continue watching. Needless to say, viewers wouldn't be happy to have a movie continually stopping instead of flowing all the way through.

I don't know of many controllers that even have an end jump button. It's rather pointless since if a user wanted to jump to the end, you would literally be at the end of the video and it would then instantly go back to the main screen. So why even bother with that button when you already have one that puts you back at the main screen any time you press it?

Sep 21, 2015 8:34 AM in response to ellinfromalabama

I don't have that software, but I've been making movies using iMovie, Final Cut express, and iDVD and have never found the chapter options to be precisely what I want, so I've done what you just mentioned: I add separate "movies" with descriptive titles which will allow the viewer to choose one separately or, if they start with the first one, it will play all the way through all of them. I set up the menu and transitions in iDVD and then use Roxio Toast to burn it.

Nov 16, 2015 12:59 PM in response to ellinfromalabama

Easy and quick to do in DVD SP 4. You use stories, as someone mentioned

Let's say the full movie has chapters 1, 2 & 3

If you want to play the full movie, create a story with chapters 1, 2, 3 and a button to jump to that story

If you want the to play just scene 1, make a story with just chapter 1, button jumps to that story

Etc.

Some players can "blow threw" the end of the story if pressing next chapter on remote is pushed fast enough. You can add additional markers right before the end of the story which disables user operations

Details are here:

http://dvdstepbystep.com/stories.php

http://dvdstepbystep.com/stories_details.php

Can you add end jumps to various chapters in DVDs?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.