Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple TV sees iTunes, but iTunes does not see Apple TV

I am having a recurring issue where I can see and play music on my Apple TV from my iTunes Library (using the Apple TV interface), but when I try to connect from iTunes on my MacBook to the Apple TV. Basically, the Apple TV sees and can connect to the Mac, but the Mac does not connect to the Apple TV.

When I try to connect from the menu in iTunes, I can see the Apple TV as an available option, but when I select it I get the message: "An error occurred while connecting to the AirPlay device “Living Room Apple TV”. The network connection failed."

I get the same message when I attempt screen sharing from the finder menu. In both cases I can see the Apple TV as an option in the menu, I just get an error when I select it.

I am running 10.9.5 on a 2.6GHz Intel Core i7 / 8 GB RAM and an SSD. I am running the latest iTunes - 12.2.2.25 (Let's not even go into the logic of that version number).

I would also note that this has worked before and no changes have been made to the network since it was last working.

Any ideas?

John

MacBook Pro (15-inch 2.4/2.2 GHz), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5)

Posted on Sep 11, 2015 3:05 PM

3 replies

Sep 12, 2015 2:43 AM in response to 12ftguru

Try the following steps, check whether things are working after each step where appropriate, before trying the next.

1. Check AirPlay is turned on on the Apple TV (turn it off and on if it already is)
  2. Check that both devices are on the same network (Settings > General > Network, on the Apple TV).
  3. Restart the Apple TV (Settings > General > Restart).
  4. Restart the Apple TV by removing ALL the cables for 30 seconds.
  5. Restart your router. (Also try removing it’s power cord for at least 30 seconds)
  6. Restart your computer.

If you are still having problems, the following article(s) may help you.

Troubleshooting AirPlay

Troubleshooting Wi-Fi networks and connections

Recommended Wi-Fi settings

Wifi Diagnostic Software (for Mac users)

You may also find some help on this page, where I’ve collected some of the more unusual solutions to network issues.

When making adjustments to your network for better optimisation, you may find some of the points mentioned on this page helpful.

Oct 2, 2015 2:09 PM in response to Winston Churchill

It seems that restarting the Apple TV fixes the problem. However, this problem seems to reappear if the unit goes to sleep. Oddly, every single time the AppleTV will still see the Mac and play files from it, iTunes just doesn't see the Apple TV.

It's kind of annoying to have to have to reboot the Apple TV every time I want to use it for music streaming from my Mac (or deal with the clunky remote to navigate through over 1000 albums). I hate to think I have to buy a new Apple TV just to get this to work consistently. It seems like a software failing at one end or the other. If it was network or hardware it seems like it would fail in both directions.

Apple TV sees iTunes, but iTunes does not see Apple TV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.