Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How Do I Remove ad.directrev.com (pop-up windows)

I keep getting annoying empty pop-up windows from a site addressed as "ad.directrev.com" when ever I visit various web sites.

Is this some kind of spyware on my iMac, or just harmless annoying adware?

I have tried the "block pop-ups" option in Safari preferences …. but it does not stop the ""ad.directrev.com" windows from popping up automatically. I've also tried running Safari with the extensions turned off, and still the "ad.directrev.com" windows pop up occasionally.

How do I get rid of, or block, these annoying "ad.directrev.com" from automatically popping up when using Safari?

User uploaded file

iMac (21.5-inch, Late 2012), OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5), Apple TV, iPhone 4S

Posted on Sep 12, 2015 10:27 AM

4 replies

Sep 12, 2015 10:35 AM in response to DavidMac

Adware isn't always harmless. That pop-up is adware. One, you should be using a ad-blocking extension like Adblock or Adblock Plus, so once all this over, please install either/or. Force Quit Safari, then start it in Safe Mode by holding down the Shift key. Open your Preferences and get rid of all cookies and browsing history. Go to the Advanced tab, go down to the bottom and check "Show Develop menu in menu bar." Then go up to Develop and select "Empty Caches." Next, go to Malwarebytes Anti-Malware for Mac. Download it, install it, and run it. Don't listen to scare tactics — it's not going to harm your computer, and it comes very highly recommended by people here. It'll eliminate any adware on your hard drive. Once it's done, quit Safari and then open it normally. You should have no further problems. 🙂

Sep 12, 2015 11:48 AM in response to DavidMac

You may have installed ad-injection malware ("adware").

Don't use any kind of "anti-virus" or "anti-malware" product on a Mac. There is never a need for it, and relying on it for protection makes you more vulnerable to attack, not less.

Some of the most common types of adware can be removed by following Apple's instructions. If those instructions don't work for you, or if you have trouble following them, see below.

This easy procedure will detect any kind of adware that I know of. Deactivating it is a separate, and even easier, procedure that doesn't involve downloading anything.

Some legitimate software is ad-supported and may display ads in its own windows or in a web browser while it's running. That's not malware and it may not show up. Also, some websites carry intrusive popup ads that may be mistaken for adware.

If none of your web browsers is working well enough to carry out these instructions, restart the computer in safe mode. That will disable the malware temporarily.

Step 1

Please triple-click the line below on this page to select it, then copy the text to the Clipboard by pressing the key combination command-C:

~/Library/LaunchAgents

In the Finder, select

Go Go to Folder...

from the menu bar and paste into the box that opens by pressing command-V. Press return. Either a folder named "LaunchAgents" will open, or you'll get a notice that the folder can't be found. If the folder isn't found, go to the next step.

If the folder does open, press the key combination command-2 to select list view, if it's not already selected. Please don't skip this step.

There should be a column in the Finder window headed Date Modified. Click that heading twice to sort the contents by date with the newest at the top. If necessary, enlarge the window so that all of the contents are showing.

Follow the instructions in this support article under the heading "Take a screenshot of a window." An image file with a name beginning in "Screen Shot" should be saved to the Desktop. Open the screenshot and make sure it's readable. If not, capture a smaller part of the screen showing only what needs to be shown.

Start a reply to this message. Drag the image file into the editing window to upload it. You can also include text in the reply.

Leave the folder open for now.

Step 2

Do as in Step 1 with this line:

/Library/LaunchAgents

The folder that may open will have the same name, but is not the same, as the one in Step 1. As in that step, the folder may not exist.

Step 3

Repeat with this line:

/Library/LaunchDaemons

This time the folder will be named "LaunchDaemons."

Step 4

Open the Safari preferences window and select the Extensions tab. If any extensions are listed, post a screenshot. If there are no extensions, or if you can't launch Safari, skip this step.

Step 5

If you use the Firefox or Chrome browser, open its extension list and do as in Step 4.

Oct 5, 2016 7:20 AM in response to H2otwo

You might want to start your own post since this one is from last year. A new post would be much more visible. You can link to this one. Try running this program in your normal account , then copy and paste the output in a new post. The program was created by Etresoft, a frequent contributor. Please use copy and paste as screen shots can be hard to read. On the screen with Options, please open Options and check the bottom 2 boxes before running. Click “Share Report” button in the toolbar, select “Copy to Clipboard” and then paste into a reply. This will show what is running on your computer. No personal information is shown.

Etrecheck – System Information

Uninstall Avast. It tends to interfere with the computer's operation while providing minimal to no benefit.

Avast

Avast Un-install

Most people advise not to use cleaning programs. They can destroy your computer operation as they may already have done.

CleanMyMac 3 Uninstall

After un-installing, use this program to make sure you got all the pieces.

EasyFind – Spotlight Replacement

How Do I Remove ad.directrev.com (pop-up windows)

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.