Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unlock iPhone 6s in the U.S

I went to the Apple store in Virginia Beach to ask about how to buy an unlock iPhone 6s. I asked a lady who works there and she said all iPhones which are selling online are locked, the unlocked ones will be release in a few months later. I also asked her "Does that means all iPhone 6s that are now selling are locked?" and she said yes. Yet, I saw some website said that the free-contract iPhone 6s are unlocked, so I am confused. Which one is the truth???

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.2), null

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 12:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 12:48 AM

The person you spoke to in the Apple store was correct - Apple do not normally release the unlocked version of the new iPhone until about 3 months following release.

Sim free is NOT the same as unlocked, so you will probably have to wait to purchase an unlocked phone.

The only thing that you could try is purchasing the T-Mobile version of the phone, but then don't activate it with the T-Mobile sim card supplied. Activate it with the sim card of your choice and then the phone should remain unlocked.

6 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2015 12:48 AM in response to banalai

The person you spoke to in the Apple store was correct - Apple do not normally release the unlocked version of the new iPhone until about 3 months following release.

Sim free is NOT the same as unlocked, so you will probably have to wait to purchase an unlocked phone.

The only thing that you could try is purchasing the T-Mobile version of the phone, but then don't activate it with the T-Mobile sim card supplied. Activate it with the sim card of your choice and then the phone should remain unlocked.

Oct 9, 2015 9:55 AM in response to Ethmoid

Hi,

I am planning to get iphone 6s from SFO Apple store. They mentioned, all are GSM phones which you can use anywhere in the world?

Does that mean that, i can use this phone in India without any hassle? From the above comments page, it appears to me that the Iphone 6s unlocked version will not be available in any stores in US?

I would really appreciate your suggestions in this regard.

Oct 9, 2015 10:01 AM in response to a1rahul

The phone from an Apple store purchased at full price should be unlocked - you should be able to use your phone in India - I have used my US bought phone on Airtel without any hassles - BUT check the new bands the Indian companies are using for 4G if you live in one of the areas where it is offered and want to avail of it

If you are looking at 6S then I would go for the AT&T model - but also check with the person in the store as Apple warranty on products purchased in the US is NOT applicable in India

Check here

Oct 9, 2015 10:18 AM in response to ManSinha

Hi Mansinha,

Many thanks for the response. I live in Bangalore and using 4G is optional, would prefer though -given an option. Yes, Its clear that warranty can't be availed in India but except for the band I hope there will not be any issue to use this phone in India right?

When you say go for AT&T model- Do we need to buy phone with a service ? I thought the unlocked phones doesn't come with a service provider.

Unlock iPhone 6s in the U.S

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.