Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iTunes Feedback: Allow users to set back up directory, on any drive

Hi,

As many of the other users on this forum, I have found a large annoyance with iTunes this weekend. You can't define the back up location when syncing your iOS device.

NOTE: I am aware that you can back up your media to any location on your PC/Mac, including separate drives, but the iOS back up (which contains contacts, app data, etc.) is stored on the same drive as your OS.

If we (as users) would like Apple to change this behaviour, we need to provide feedback to them about this. I personally would prefer to let my iOS devices sync to my NAS, or external USB drive. I encourage any readers of this post to submit similar feedback to: http://www.apple.com/feedback/itunesapp.html

By doing so, I hope that we can change the future behaviour of iTunes.

Thank you.

iTunes-OTHER, iPhone, iPad, iPod

Posted on Sep 12, 2015 8:04 PM

2 replies

Sep 12, 2015 10:02 PM in response to turingtest2

Thanks for the comments. I am sure it will help a few users.

Personally, I reviewed that post previously. I may not use iTunes like other users, in the sense that it is not my media player or library. For me, it's an application used for backing up and managing my iOS devices. I typically don't sync my devices unless I have specific cause.

I've also found that linking works best when you have multiple drives on the same machine. In my case, I have a single SSD which limits storage capacity.

It would be very nice for the path to be set directly within iTunes with either a "Check for path" type message on startup or sync avoidance.

Thanks again.

iTunes Feedback: Allow users to set back up directory, on any drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.