Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Wifi Issues Yosemite 10.10.5

My macbook pro is connecting to a virgin media super hub. The wifi drops out every 20-30 seconds rendering it unusable. Pages take ages to load, if at all, constant time outs. I have to keep changing from 2ghz to 5ghz to try to keep pages loading. I have many other devices using wifi, ipad, iphone, samsung phone and notebook pc, these have no issues with wifi it is purely the macbook pro. I have had the macbook for less than 2 months and it seems to be getting worse.

I've tried a few solutions, such as creating a new location, ticking the 'change network' renewing the DHCP lease, removing the account altogether and setting up again. Nothing helps.

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

MacBook Pro (15-inch Core 2 Duo), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 10:19 AM

26 replies

Sep 13, 2015 12:19 PM in response to kazky1

You are using the much-less crowded 5GHz band, and have a double-wide 40MHz channel. Your RSSI (signal) to noise is (-95 -56) = -39, a very strong signal. Your Transmit rate bears this out at a remarkable 324 Mbits/sec.

you should be having no problems, Even with all those competing Networks, because most will be fighting for the crowded and interference-prone 5GHz band.

PROVIDED your Router is using Channel selection "automatic" in the 5GHz band. This allows the Router to "sniff" the various Channels at Startup, and choose the one with least interference and the best reception. This is why every debugging procedure includes "cycle the power on your Router" as an early step.

Sep 13, 2015 12:28 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

There are some additional tools that you can initiate and leave open in a corner of your desktop. They are available through "Network Diagnostic button when you Option-clcik the Wi-Fi Icon. Let it run through the first part, it probably won't find anything deadly, and let it proceed for about a minute to this screen:

User uploaded file

Now from the Window menu, choose "Performance". a window opens with a real-time graph of the Transmit rate, signal Quality, and the third graph shows both signal and noise in different colors. Don't close any of theses. Just leave the graph in a corner of your desktop and go about your business. ALL of these indicators should stay very close to their present Values. If any "takes a dive" you want to look into it.

User uploaded file

Sep 13, 2015 12:53 PM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

its definitely a fast network, every other device has no problem, just the macbook, i option clicked the wifi and got the wireless diagnostics twice, it ran through the monitoring and notified me both times of dropouts, but it then just generated a diagnostics report which it saved to my desktop. I didn't get the option to move to a performance window?

It gave me a summary... none of which were useful. It's all very frustrating, its taken me over 5 minutes to message back because of the slow connection and dropouts

User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2015 8:26 AM in response to kazky1

I have the feeling something is not right in 10.10.5. Here is what I get in Wireless diagnostics monitor. Since 10.10.5 (or better some days after upgrading) I need a much stronger signal than before to have an acceptable connection. I used this MBP mid 2012 non-retina for almost 2,5 years basically in the same environments and now it is not working anymore. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

User uploaded file

Oct 1, 2015 9:00 AM in response to n748

Although it may ultimately be blamed on Software, the graphs you show do not currently support that conclusion.

That graph says the signal strength (RSSI) deteriorated greatly (green line on bottom graph) when you made the move from 1 meter to 4 meters. You need about 20 points difference between signal and noise to have a good connection, and that difference disappears, making a good data rate impossible.

The "quality" graphs tracks the signal strength very appropriately, and the "Data Rate" adjusts itself appropriately as well, frantically trying to get down to a speed where it can work reliably, and ultimately failing.

This looks to me like Hardware problems, but it is not clear if the Router, the Wi-Fi card or its antenna is the problem (or if you were suddenly asking it to transmit through three feet of solid concrete). This does not look like a software issue to me.

excutive summary: You lost your signal.

Oct 2, 2015 2:37 AM in response to Grant Bennet-Alder

Mine is still as appalling, every other device in my house connects with issues or drop-outs, I've been waiting for El Capitan to become available to see if it makes any difference at all. I downloaded last night but haven't had chance to test.

I'll be going back to Apple if it's no different as there is not a problem with the router with anything else but the MBP.

Very frustrating.

Oct 2, 2015 9:27 PM in response to kazky1

I should just note - I have this exact same issue with my late 2012 15" Retina MBP...same symptoms...same kind of diagnostics. The interwebs and forums report the MBP as having on again/off again issues.

My MBP was humming along fine, no WiFI issues, when 10.10.5 came along, all of the sudden, very erratic WiFi, slowing to a crawl, jumping back up again, all over the place. I upgraded to 10.11 El Capitan, but it's the same issue. I can clear plists, and use all the tools recommended, and it works for a few minutes, then degrades.

This is very MBP specific - my 2014 Retina 5K iMac is a scream machine at the same time on the same WiFi network. My IOS devices also have no WiFi issues.

Chaz

Wifi Issues Yosemite 10.10.5

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.