Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

In recovery mode I tried to redownload and it freezes on me unlocking and will not download. Please help!

My computer had the lovely white screen of death with the flashing question mark folder and all. I've been looking up ways to fix it and they all seem to lead to using the utility menu to reinstall OS X. I get all the way to the part where you have to type in your password with all the hope that it will work this time and it freezes. Please help!! I need my computer to work

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 12:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 12:38 PM

It is possible your hard drive is failing or has become corrupted. You should try this from the Utilities Menu:

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

If your OS X volume cannot be repaired then you will need to erase it before installing OS X. Use Disk Utility to erase your OS X volume, then try installing OS X again.

2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 13, 2015 12:38 PM in response to Brisarvis

It is possible your hard drive is failing or has become corrupted. You should try this from the Utilities Menu:

Repair

When the recovery menu appears select Disk Utility and press the Continue button. After Disk Utility loads select the indented Macintosh HD entry from the the left side list. Click on the First Aid tab, then click on the Repair Disk button. If Disk Utility reports any errors that have been fixed, then re-run Repair Disk until no errors are reported. If no errors are reported click on the Repair Permissions button. Wait until the operation completes, then quit Disk Utility and return to the main menu. Select Restart from the Apple menu.

If your OS X volume cannot be repaired then you will need to erase it before installing OS X. Use Disk Utility to erase your OS X volume, then try installing OS X again.

In recovery mode I tried to redownload and it freezes on me unlocking and will not download. Please help!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.