Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cannot turn on Home Sharing with usual AppleID and password

Today iTunes quit streaming to my AirPort Express in the middle of a song. Sometimes when this has happened before I stop Home Sharing, then restart it and it works again. Today after stopping Home Sharing, I tried to restart it. The screen asks for my AppleID and password, but will not accept it. I have tried every combination of AppleID and password that I have ever used, but none of them work. I even reset my AppleID, no help. I have logged out of iTunes and logged in again (successfully), but Home Sharing won't accept the ID and p/w I just used. Any ideas?

Home PC-OTHER, Windows 7

Posted on Sep 13, 2015 10:08 PM

11 replies

Jan 7, 2017 3:45 PM in response to EagleRock27

Thank you so much EagleRock27! This was making me nuts! I've read several posts and tried other options, none of which worked. I don't even understand how they can keep posts that do not solve the issue. I spent well over 2-hours reading and trying various options. Plain and Simple... Turn Off that Two Factor Authentication and BOOM! I am back up running like I had been previous. Thank you again EagleRock27...

Sep 19, 2015 8:44 AM in response to Sound_Guy_01

I finally got time to completely uninstall iTunes. By that, I mean I did an uninstall via Control Panel, then moved the remaining directories in \Program Files and \Program Data to \Temp folders, and turned off Bonjour Service. Then I restarted the PC, used Norton Utilities to clean up the Registry, then restarted again before doing a complete install of iTunes. However, after all that work, I still get the same error, "Home Sharing could not be activated because the AppleID or password was incorrect." Anyone have any other ideas?

Nov 14, 2015 11:41 PM in response to Sound_Guy_01

I had the same problem where all of a sudden I could not enable Home Sharing in iTunes on my PC. When I tried to enable it, I was prompted to login with my Apple ID and password. The password was not recognized and an invalid username or password error was returned. I know my password is correct because I can log into Apple, iCloud, iTunes etc. with the same credentials. Each time I would try to sign in, I would get the new "TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION" prompt sent to my iPad or iPhone device. The 6 digit number was presented, but there was no where in iTunes on the PC to enter this on my sign on attempt. I had to DISABLE this new TWO FACTOR AUTHENTICATION. Once I did this, I could then enable Home Sharing, and then access my music library via my iPad and iPhone.

To update this, go to https://appleid.apple.com/account/home

Login in and go to the Password and Security section

If you remove the Two Factor Authentication you will have to create 3 new security questions and answers.

Save, and then go to your iTunes and you will be able to enable Home Sharing

Hopefully Apple will fix this so that in the near future you can go back in and enable the Two Factor Authentication.

Good luck.

Cannot turn on Home Sharing with usual AppleID and password

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.