Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

when you download a new OS, wher is it stored before installation on my imac

I'm trying to d/load the OS (10.10). where is it downloaded to?? I wish to install it on both my internal drives as well as my SSD without the need to completely do fresh & new downloads.

I thought it would go to my d/l folder but that is not the case.

I'm using the App Store to d/l using the purchased facility and all you get is "install" but once you've done that yopu can't rtepeat it for my other disks.

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.3)

Posted on Sep 14, 2015 2:13 AM

15 replies

Sep 14, 2015 5:11 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E

Yes - I eventually found a t/m backup hidden on the SSD. I managed to delete it and another file called "Cores" with nothing in it and deleted that as well.

As a result was able to install 10.10 on the SSD and all is working well.

My only problem, which still stands, is why, when I enter time machine, I cannot read any t/m backups - they either show up but suddenly dis-appears or do not appear at all - just the current page.

This problem was the subject of another question I raised about 2 weeks ago.

Sep 14, 2015 3:09 PM in response to Eric Root

Thanks Eric Root.

I wasn't aware of that route and it worked by mounting all my backups. It initially failed however, when I tried to restore a file (just testing)

but have tried twice since then and it works.

I have restored the OS to my SSD which has made no difference regarding t/machine

But I wonder what it is that is preventing t/machine to work the way it did, and in selecting from the side bar a date and time?

Thank you

Sep 15, 2015 2:38 AM in response to Barney-15E

Barney-15E,

I have been backing up to a Time Capsule using time machine. I have it connected via eth. cable direct from my iMac or sometimes

when testing via eth. cable to modem>then T/Capsule. I have even used just wi-fi all with the same problem of not being able to read the backups.

The idea of using cmd, **** & C keys does work.

Until recently, I had backups, that could be read and even restored, going back about 18 months and cannot work out why it should suddenly

stop working.

Thanks for the pondini link looks interesting.

Alan

Sep 16, 2015 12:35 AM in response to ribbo39

See my second post. You have deleted your interim backup. TM will backup to multiple destinations, alternatively when available. Also, the fact that you have backed up from various ip addresses to the Time Capsule, have complicated things. Thus, your last series of backups, was done on your internal SSD. Those are now gone. You still have the previous backups on the TM. You will have to 'own the backups' still left on it.

Unfortunately, you didn't follow my advice "Move temporarily" the backups to another location. If you have done so, I could have explained to you a way to 'merge' the backups into one.

Thus the only way left for you is to follow the procedure contained to 'become the owner of the backups' - my words

Leo

Sep 16, 2015 3:35 AM in response to Leopardus

Leo,

Somehow, I completely miss-read your 2nd post - my apologies.

Using either eth. cables or wi-fi was as instructed by the Apple Techs in trying to overcome my problem.

This was the subject of an earlier posting about not being able to read the backups when entering time machine.

However, as I only have backups from the beginning of Sept. this year, doesn't cause much of a problem.

It was where does the new (10.10) OS download to which is what I was trying to find as I wanted to re-install on both the original hard drive & the SSD - both successfully done now.

How, or where, do I find "become the owner of the backups"

Alan

Sep 16, 2015 4:08 AM in response to ribbo39

1. Write down all the settings that you have on Time Machine, as it is at present using Airport Utility to access it.

2. Disable TM on your Mac, remove the backup destination and switch it off on your Mac.

3. Unplug the power to the TM.

4. Re-establish power to the TM whilst doing a reset as described in the documentation.

5. Power on your Mac.

6. Using the Airport Utility program, re-enter/confirm all your settings as you had them before.

7. Re-enable Time Machine backups and choose your backup destination in the TM as before.

8. Let it perform a backup

That should do it.

Leo

Sep 16, 2015 5:49 AM in response to Leopardus

Leo,

I did exactly as you listed; reset the t/capsule, re-entered all the settings; re-enabled t/m and performed a backup. etc

Entered t/m and initially all backups appeared then all of a sudden they dis-appeared!! leaving only the current page to view.

I suspect there is a problem with my iMac, not the time capsule.

Many thanks for all your help

Alan

when you download a new OS, wher is it stored before installation on my imac

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.