Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Capsule in bridge mode without ethernet

I'm probably missing something simple here.

I have a Time Capsule about 3 years old. I have a new router from my ISP that puts out a much stronger signal, so I want to use that router, but continue to use Time Capsule for wireless backups. From what I understand, Bridge Mode is what I want.

However, I also have a newer Macbook Pro with no ethernet port. So once I turn off the wireless setting in Airport Utility, the Time Capsule disappears, and the only way to bring it back is a factory reset, which takes me back to "create a new network" or "extend an existing network."

Without a wired connection, how can I tell TC just to connect to the router via ethernet (which it's doing), and not send out its own network at all?

MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2014), iOS 8.4.1

Posted on Sep 14, 2015 5:24 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 14, 2015 5:35 AM

Time Capsule in Bridge Mode without Ethernet

Sorry, but not possible. What you need....and the setting that Apple does not have.....is for the Time Capsule to "join" a wireless network.

Your only option is to connect the Time Capsule to your new router using a permanent, wired Ethernet connection. Configure the Time Capsule to create a new network using the setup "wizard". Once you have that basic set up done, use AirPort Utility to go back in and turn off the wireless function of the Time Capsule.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 14, 2015 5:35 AM in response to J M H

Time Capsule in Bridge Mode without Ethernet

Sorry, but not possible. What you need....and the setting that Apple does not have.....is for the Time Capsule to "join" a wireless network.

Your only option is to connect the Time Capsule to your new router using a permanent, wired Ethernet connection. Configure the Time Capsule to create a new network using the setup "wizard". Once you have that basic set up done, use AirPort Utility to go back in and turn off the wireless function of the Time Capsule.

Sep 14, 2015 1:12 PM in response to Bob Timmons

I have a similar situation, but my MacBook Pro is a mid-2009 model that does have an Ethernet port. My new Comcast/Xfinity X1 modem-router combo unit sits next to my TV in my living room. A Netgear range extender sits on my desk in my home office, where the Time Capsule and my computer both sit. I've left the TC sitting idle for a couple of days, as I'm not sure which cable to plug in where.

Can you please walk me through how to get my MacBook Pro and my TC talking again. Thanks!

Oct 2, 2015 12:47 PM in response to Mike's Pad

I should mention that I tried exactly that approach just a few minutes ago. That is, I've got an Ethernet cable running from my TC's WAN port to an Ethernet port on my router. (To be precise, the cable connects to a WiFi extender on my desk. Comcast's shiny new gateway—combination modem and router—sits in my living room at the other end of the house.) I was curious to know whether this setup is working, so I clicked on the TC icon on my toolbar and clicked "Enter Time Capsule." Well, to my surprise, TC opened and showed me what's backed up. So ... am I really peering inside my TC, or am I seeing something else?

Time Capsule in bridge mode without ethernet

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.