Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Mail 4 won't set up new account properly

I have

• 4 x tesco.net
  • 2 x tiscali/talktalk
  • 1 x Gmail

email accounts, all currently in Mail, all originally set up in Tiger 10 years ago. The last few months I've had problems with the 2 tiscali accounts (intermittently asking for password) so I decided to set up a 5th tesco account instead.

All was well with the first screen (Full Name, email address, password) but on the second (Account type [POP], description, Incoming server, user name, password) I got a dialogue I'd never seen before :

"Mail cannot send your password securely to the server", with three buttons: Setup Manually / Cancel / Continue.

1. Cancel just dismisses the dialogue but it won't connect
  2. Continue also dismisses the dialogue but again it won't connect (failure to connect message)
  3. Setup Manually allows me to choose the defaults "Password" as the way of connecting, and also "SSL off" as per the ISP

So I used Setup Manually and was able to get through to the final screen where I input the Outgoing server details and the account was set up.

Now, here is the problem. The new account will SEND messages fine (the outgoing server is talktalk's who provide my broadband). But it won't RECEIVE messages. I've tried sending messages to it, and if I go to Tesco.net they are there, no problem. But Mail won't connect to the tesco server. But if I check through the Account Information in Mail Preferences, against the main tesco email account, it has all been set up exactly the same way. Apart from email address, user name and description, all else is the same.

What's wrong? Why doesn't Mail want to connect to the tesco server, yet all my other tesco accounts do?

iMac Core i5 12GB RAM-OTHER, Mac OS X (10.6.8)

Posted on Sep 14, 2015 6:16 AM

12 replies

Sep 14, 2015 9:03 AM in response to Eric Root

Ok. The Connection Doctor shows the other 7 accounts are fine ("Connection and login to server succeeded"), including the 4 which access the same server and use the same password. But the new account has the revolving gear ("Logging in to account...") finally goes red ("Trying to log in to this POP account failed. Verify that the username and password are correct"). I doubt that the password is incorrect as 1. I use the same one for all my email accounts, and 2. I can use it to see my messages via webmail.

Connection Doctor / Show Details:

CONNECTED Sep 14 16:53:06.789 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

READ Sep 14 16:53:06.813 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

+OK POP3 ready

WROTE Sep 14 16:53:06.829 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

CAPA

READ Sep 14 16:53:06.848 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

+OK Capability list follows

EXPIRE 31 USER

UIDL

USER

XOIP

STLS

WROTE Sep 14 16:53:06.859 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

USER xxxxx.xxx (not actual - I just replaced the username with 'xxx'!)

READ Sep 14 16:53:06.877 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

+OK

WROTE Sep 14 16:53:06.891 [kCFStreamSocketSecurityLevelNone] -- host:mail.tesco.net -- port:110 -- socket:0x11bc070a0 -- thread:0x11bc16c40

PASS ******

Does this mean much to you? It doesn't to me.

Sep 15, 2015 2:18 PM in response to Eric Root

Yes, exactly the same messages as before, every time I've tried (which is several times).

I did contact their support team, but in the end after holding my hand through the setup process (!!) they suggested I should contact Apple. Which makes sense, as messages sent from another of my Tesco accounts to the new one, can be seen on Tesco's webmail. It's just that Mail won't login to the new account to retrieve mail, though it can send mail. If I had another email client, I'd try that, but I don't. I've used Mail without (many) problems for 10 years.

Any other ideas?

Sep 16, 2015 7:46 AM in response to christopher rigby1

Try a restart.

Do a backup, using either Time Machine or a cloning program, to ensure files/data can be recovered. Two backups are better than one.

Try setting up another admin user account to see if the same problem continues. If Back-to-My Mac is selected in System Preferences, the Guest account will not work. The intent is to see if it is specific to one account or a system wide problem. This account can be deleted later.

Isolating an issue by using another user account

If the problem is still there, try booting into the Safe Mode using your normal account. Disconnect all peripherals except those needed for the test. Shut down the computer and then power it back up after waiting 10 seconds. Immediately after hearing the startup chime, hold down the shift key and continue to hold it until the gray Apple icon and a progress bar appear. The boot up is significantly slower than normal. This will reset some caches, forces a directory check, and disables all startup and login items, among other things. When you reboot normally, the initial reboot may be slower than normal. If the system operates normally, there may be 3rd party applications which are causing a problem. Try deleting/disabling the third party applications after a restart by using the application un-installer. For each disable/delete, you will need to restart if you don't do them all at once.

Safe Mode

Sep 16, 2015 7:55 AM in response to Eric Root

One more thing - I have downloaded Thunderbird. It set up and imported mails from one of my other Tesco accounts from the server, but it too fails to connect to the same server for the new account. So it's not just Mail, but nor is it Tesco - email clients can find my other Tesco accounts, and the messages for the new account are on Tesco webmail.

Sep 16, 2015 8:19 AM in response to Eric Root

I tried to edit my previous reply, but during editing, I lost the ability to save the edit (which is rubbish - once you've started editing, you shouldn't lose that).

Anyway, here is my FULL edited reply, including the previous reply:

Hi Eric

Yes, I've restarted - no difference.

I also created a new admin account, where I set up two accounts in Mail :

• 1 was the new account (couldn't connect and retrieve mail, same as here)
  • 1 was an existing Tesco account - it downloaded everything on the (same) server

I also compared Keychain entries for existing tesco accounts and the new one - apart from the name, they're identical.

I've not tried Safe mode - I really don't think it will make any difference, particularly if you note...

...one more thing - I have downloaded Thunderbird. It set up and imported mails from one of my other Tesco accounts from the server, but it too fails to connect to the same server for the new account. So it's not just Mail, nor is it this Mac user account, but nor is it Tesco - email clients can find my other Tesco accounts, and the messages for the new account are on Tesco webmail. It's now officially driving me nuts.

Sep 17, 2015 8:41 AM in response to Eric Root

Eric Root wrote:

A workaround would be to go to the Tesco website and have all e-mails sent to the non-functioning account forwarded to a working account.

I'd already got there first! I have in fact set up a filter on Tesco.net to do that very thing. It's a real nuisance, as the new address was to be a single-use account for the sole purposes of a writing group I belong to (I've used a tiscali/talktalk address for this, for 10 years, but one or two members don't receive some of my messages - wanadoo being the main culprit - so I thought I'd set up a new email address for the group to use).

I wonder - in Apple Mail, could I set up a rule to divert messages from the working account (where I DON'T want them) to the current tiscali/talktalk Inbox? I know it's possible to move messages from a particular Inbox to a Mailbox, but can I do the same Inbox -> Inbox?

In other words :

• Tesco.net forwards messages from the new account (C) to another older Tesco account (B)
  • Mail then uses a rule to move messages from B's Inbox to the Inbox of existing account A

If I could do that, then people could send messages to either or both of A and C but they would all end up in A.

Mail 4 won't set up new account properly

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.