Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

My First Blu-Ray

Just used the Blu-Ray preset in Compressor 4.

Simple enough, auto start, no menu. I selected Burn to Disc and set it to single layer.

After a few hours of trundling through the footage, there are two files on my destop - an .ac3 audio file and a H264 for Blu-ray.264 file.

I suppose these are the equivalents of Elementary Streams like the ones we used to use in DVD SP, right?

It hasn't burned anything to the disc so what now?

Don't I need some kind of additional files like that tell the player what to do like the IFO, BUP etc that are used in DVD authoring?

God, I feel stupid.

Posted on Sep 14, 2015 4:22 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 12:40 AM

Nick Holmes wrote:

what now?

Don't I need some kind of additional files like that tell the player what to do like the IFO, BUP etc that are used in DVD authoring?

Nope. Not if you're having Compressor do the disk burn.

I'd verify that you selected your BD burner for output device (in the Inspector).

If your settings had switched back to Hard Drive for Output Device, it would ordinarily produce an img as well as the two audio and video files you mentioned.

Otherwise, I'd turn my attention to the burner. See if it will make a data disk – a DVD blank to save money.

Russ

5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2015 12:40 AM in response to Nick Holmes

Nick Holmes wrote:

what now?

Nope. Not if you're having Compressor do the disk burn.

I'd verify that you selected your BD burner for output device (in the Inspector).

If your settings had switched back to Hard Drive for Output Device, it would ordinarily produce an img as well as the two audio and video files you mentioned.

Otherwise, I'd turn my attention to the burner. See if it will make a data disk – a DVD blank to save money.

Russ

Sep 15, 2015 1:42 AM in response to Russ H

Thanks Russ.

BD Data disc burns OK. Compressor sees the drive. It initially offered the internal Superdrive as destination but I switched it to the BD.

Compressor didn't produce a .img. Would that be the better option and then use Disk Utility to make the disc?

When I look at the .264 file it's just black video though - or the Mac doesn't understand what Compressor spat out.

Bag of hurt.

Sep 15, 2015 7:09 AM in response to Nick Holmes

So you established your burner works with your system but possibly there is a compatibility problem with Compressor (which is not unheard of). The H.264 and the AC3 files should have been used in completing the process – writing either to a physical disk or disk image, Curious whether your burner works with legacy pro apps. Have you had success with FCP share or the Compressor batch templates in earlier versions?

Burning from an img in Disk Utility has generally been problematic. For this who've reported success, using erasable (RE format) seems to be critical. Not sure why. Let us know how you make out if you try – including the type of media you used.

Good luck.

Russ

My First Blu-Ray

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.