Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I lost my file while working on a PPT that was so important to me

I lost my entire work after working on it for 6 hours. The ppt that I was working on got lost, after my Mac Pro (2015) froze, and my Powerpoint got stuck. I checked recovery and everything on powerpoint, nothing's there. "Powerpoint" got closed all of a sudden without any promo to save the file. I even went to microsoft's folder in Finder but nothing's there.

No, auto recovery in powerpoint worked. It's not anywhere. I want to know what happened to my file?

Need help, I am disappointed.

MacBook Pro (Retina, 13-inch,Early 2015), OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 3:11 AM

4 replies

Sep 15, 2015 7:21 AM in response to Harshvp

Lesson learned. When using a computer save often and backup frequently. Working on a file for 6 hours without saving periodically is just asking for trouble. We don't know what happened as we were not there, power surge, restart, cat stepped on power button, ...

You might try asking in the Office for Mac forums (http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/mac) if there could be an auto saved PPT file created by PowerPoint.

Sep 15, 2015 2:08 PM in response to BobTheFisherman

Thank you for your response. But what annoys me is that I was not expecting a basic crash issue of 90s to happen on a 2015 Mac Pro. Also I keep everything synced and my office is connected online, so when it stopped responding all of a sudden I was expecting at least the auto recovery to take care of it (I have set it to 3-4 minutes instead of the usual 10 mins periodic auto save ).

My last night response was more of an emotional one, as I had just lost all of my work at 3am in the morning. Now to be be real I am a 23 years old computer science grad and have been using computers since 15=16 years (Basically, I understand computers and computing pretty much). I understand that saving would have helped me in the first place but then this yet again can happen to anyone. No cats(i don't have cats), no power surge, no restart nothing, just a plain and simple freeze for a couple of minutes and a couple of my softwares stopped responding including Sublime and Powerpoint.

I am just worried that even today, a basic crash/freeze can have the exact same impact to an end user as it used to have back in the 90s. I have asked the microsoft forum too about this PPT crashing, let's hope they actually have an answer (I am assuming they might just come up saying that, this is your Mac issue not ours).

You may please respond if you have any extra assistance or suggestion to make, I will highly appreciate it.

Thanks

- Harsh

Oct 16, 2015 12:17 PM in response to Harshvp

I love when people tell you that you should save regularly. Of course you should but I would expect that something I paid for actually worked and, when I have autosave set at 10 minutes, will do as advertised. I am a subscription sucker and wish I never did trust Microsoft with my money. Like you I lost hours of work but after looking around online found a suggestion of where to look and was able to recover my work.

Here's where to look;

HD > Users > [my user name] > Library > Containers > com.microsoft.Powerpoint > Data > Library > Preferences > AutoRecovery > Presentation1_autorecover

Copy the file to the desktop and change the extension to .pptm and then double click it. Should be good to your last auto save point.

Cheers and best of luck.

I lost my file while working on a PPT that was so important to me

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.