Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How long will OS X 10.10 Yosemite be available?

I am currently running 10.9.5 Mavericks due to application compatibility issues with Yosemite. The recent announcement of Yosemite's replacement has spurred me to find replacements for those incompatible apps and finally move to Yosemite before it is no longer available. I have downloaded the 10.10 installer but I still have a lot of work to do getting my unruly apps converted to their replacements. My question is, how long will 10.10 Yosemite be available for upgrade? Will it disappear on September 30th when El Capitan is released? Will I still be able to run the Yosemite installer after September 30th?

iMac (21.5-inch Mid 2011), OS X Mavericks (10.9.5), 2.8 ghz i7, 16gb memory

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 6:14 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 1:39 PM

No one knows exactly how long Yosemite will be supported, but its demise is not likely to be in the near future. Look at Snow Leopard, still available from the on-line store, Lion, still available from the Mac App Store, Mountain Lion, still available. Mavericks was halted in the months following the release of Yosemite, but it is not likely Yosemite will be stopped in the near future.

7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 15, 2015 1:39 PM in response to OldMacFan

No one knows exactly how long Yosemite will be supported, but its demise is not likely to be in the near future. Look at Snow Leopard, still available from the on-line store, Lion, still available from the Mac App Store, Mountain Lion, still available. Mavericks was halted in the months following the release of Yosemite, but it is not likely Yosemite will be stopped in the near future.

Sep 15, 2015 7:08 AM in response to OldMacFan

If past history is any indication of future behavior, then since you have downloaded Yosemite, it will remain in your App Store Purchase history and you should be able to download it again in the future from your Purchase history.

If you always make a copy of the installer you currently have and install from that, no matter what happens to Yosemite in the App Store.

And Apple has always kept released incremental updates for a given operating available on-line.

This could all change in the future.

Nov 25, 2015 3:10 PM in response to OldMacFan

If you have the installer then yes, but if you want there is always the option of downgrading, now Apple has released the feature to downgrade to Yosemite from El Capitan so if it does disappear them just wait and upgrade to El Capitan and downgrade, although with all the bugs from Yosemite I would not recommend OS X Yosemite, just go to El Capitan. Hope this helped. 🙂

Jan 2, 2016 6:49 PM in response to QuickTimeKirk

Ubermonkiac

Jan 03, 2016

Re: How long will OS X 10.10 Yosemite be available?

in response to QuickTimeKirk

Tried the Yosemite update, but sadly a message appeared saying that installing 10.10.5 requires 10.10 first. I used a library copy of 10.10.5. I didn't see 10.10 around, but it seems from reading this forum that Yosemite original is being made available to ease the problem of migrating from El Capitan. Soon, hopefully.

Jan 3, 2016 7:41 AM in response to Ubermonkiac

Ubermonkiac wrote:

in response to QuickTimeKirk

Tried the Yosemite update, but sadly a message appeared saying that installing 10.10.5 requires 10.10 first. I used a library copy of 10.10.5. I didn't see 10.10 around, but it seems from reading this forum that Yosemite original is being made available to ease the problem of migrating from El Capitan. Soon, hopefully.

You apparently tried to apply an update to Yosemite. That is NOT the Yosemite installer.

If you downloaded Yosemite while it was still available, I think from Sep 2014 to Sep 2015, then it should be available to you in your App Store -> Purchases tab. If you purchased your "New" and it came with Yosemite, then you can do a Network Recovery and it will be installed over the network. If none of those apply, then you may be able to make a Genius Bar appointment, and maybe they will install Yosemite for you (this is not a normal thing, so do not expect them to do it, but they might - it will be on a store by store bases, and a Genius employee by employee basis).

As for going to El Capitan, you can go directly to El Capitan from Snow Leopard 10.6.6 or any newer release of OS X. You do NOT need to install any intermediate releases. I just upgraded a Late 2009 27" iMac from Snow Leopard 10.6.8 directly to El Capitan last Monday (28-Dec-2015).

How long will OS X 10.10 Yosemite be available?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.