Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

FCPX running extremely slow

The last couple of weeks FCPX has been running extremely slow, its to a point where it is almost unusable. (Every aspect appears to be slow - opening, closing, importing, transitions, everything time I click something or so anything, I get the beach ball.)

It's taking me hours to edit when it should be taking me minutes.

The rest of the computer seems to be working normally.

I'm not very computer savy, I've tried various suggestions based on other forums I've read, but nothing seems to be working.

I've tried the following:

Adding more RAM (Went from 8GB to 32GB)

Deleting FCPX prefrences

Checking 'Prevent App Nap'

Changing the rendering settings

Uninstalling and Re-installing FCPX

Disk Repair (On external hard drive and Computer)

Starting Computer in Safe Mode (When I did this, FCPX wouldn't even open, I would get the 'FCPX has quit unexpectedly' pop-up and had to restart the computer again)

Checked the Activity Monitor (Nothing unusual and no applications taking up to much space)

Quitting all external applications

Having minimal windows open in FCPX

Computer Details as follows:

OS X Yosemite 10.10.5

IMac, 5K retina, Late 2014

4GHz-Intel Core i7

32 GB 1600 MHz DDr3

My files are all stored through an external hard drive, DROBO 5D 17TB with 5.65 TB free space. My Macintosh Storage is 1TB with 808GB free space

Like I said above, I'm not that computer Savy so I will need pretty specific directions on suggestions anyone might have.

Please let me know of any other information you may have

Thanks in advance

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 9:11 AM

2 replies

Oct 6, 2015 10:59 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

Hi Tom

I am experiencing similar issues as Bria40 and then some. per your recommendation I created a new admin user with little success. FCPX has been behaving erratically and bogging down painfully. I've been editing a few different projects, some are multicam 4k interviews (SONY xavc-i) using proxy files and another project using gopro and 5D footage proxy files that is processing nearly just as slow. Im editing off external drives (Gdrives and Lacie) USB 3.0 and thunderbolt.

I did an export benchmark test and there were no issues there. Working within the project is where I have most of my issues. Dragging on simple effects such as a cross dissolve or color correction can take up to 10 seconds to appear on the clips. Beach balls for days. using proxy files buys me a bit of speed but after a few hours of editing with those, I encounter these same issues. the strangest part of this all is these issues are not consistent. sometimes they may take a few minutes or hours to manifest. can you see an obvious bottleneck in my setup / workflow or do i need to get office space on my setup and take it to a field with a sledge hammer?

My specs:

Macbook Pro mid 2015 2.8ghz i7

RAM: 16GB 1600mhz DDR3

GRAPHICS: Intel Iris Pro 1536mb

FCPX running extremely slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.