Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPad 2 iOS 9.1 - Pages running very slow

Hello. After Apple released the iOS 9.1 Beta I was forced to update it from iOS 9.0. I tried avoiding it but everytime I turned on the device it would prompt me to update which became very annoying. Now ever since I updated to iOS 9.1, my Pages app runs extremely slow. So slow that I cannot even type 1 word correctly. It just comes up a jumbled mess and freezes for several seconds after each letter I type.

I've already cleared as much memory as possible. I've cleared and deleted Safari Cache and history. Everything else works fine except Pages. When I type into Notes for example it types just fine.

Specs: iOS 9.1 [13B5110e], iPad 2 MC979C/A 16GB with 3GB available space.

Is there anything I can do to speed up Pages so it works correctly? Or even how to revert back to iOS 9? Any help would be appreciated.

iPad 2, iOS 9.1

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 9:28 AM

16 replies

Oct 11, 2015 9:40 AM in response to Bradley Olwin

I Never used bats version, but the iOS 9 update has totally screwed up my iPad 2, it constantly freezes up, the keyboards is so slow and everything takes forever to load. Plus the email issues ! This is total b/s. Doesn't Apple test these updates before they stick us with them? My suggestion is for Everyone to dump your apple crap and change to Android!

Oct 29, 2015 7:58 AM in response to Brianmab

I bought a new iPad air 2 based on the fact that the Apple Store consultant assured me that there was nothing wrong with the new updated Pages app (version 2.6) and that it must be my iPad 2!!

A lot of cash later, I discovered that the consultant's comment was as misinformed and as stupid as Apples' when they announced that the latest version of Pages is awesome!

It is incredibly glitchy and (like others on here) I find that the LAG when typing is not only infuriating but (as a writer) costing me many hours of productivity as it has basically become unusable ... type a word, 3-5 seconds later it appears on the screen!!!!

I only hope that the Apple programmers revisit the Pages app sooner rather than later and update with a suitable fix and make me believe that my £480 was money well spent ... not feeling that at the minute!

Nov 1, 2015 11:59 AM in response to Brianmab

Go into any Apple store and try out the Pages app on their display model iPads. See how smoothly it flows. That's because they are running the 2.5 version of Pages!!

Download or update the Pages app on your iPad at home (whatever model you have) and you get Pages version 2.6 and this my friends ... if you use & rely on Pages as I do ... is the point where you will want to smash your iPad into the nearest wall!!!

That's how incredibly frustrating it is.

If you type in a word, the lag is so bad that it can take a couple of seconds for the word to actually appear on the screen. Try to delete a word and you will end up deleting a sentence because the lag makes you think that you haven't pressed the delete button properly and so you press it again several times.

I am a writer, therefore I need the correct tools for the job. Up until this latest update from the mighty Apple, Pages was more than adequate for my needs ... it's not Microsoft Office but it did the job.

This latest version of Pages ... I reiterate, version 2.6 for iPad ... is, for the time being, an unusable app sitting on the expensive iPad that I bought because of my faith in Apple.

Dear Apple. Please help restore my faith and my sanity by addressing the frustrating lag in the new version (2.6) of Pages and producing a suitable fix. And please, try to do it soon as my worn patience is leading to severe depression ... and we all know where that can end up!!

Yours on the edge.

A Pages User.

Nov 8, 2015 11:42 AM in response to Brianmab

Evening all,

I had similar problems to all of the above.

I am also a writer and write using my iPad every day. Very very distressing when things don't work as they did. I have no money for a new device and felt let down. The irony that to find a solution is followed the addage that 'Google is your friend' should not be lost on Apple. This is their forum and I hope that they take all of our comments into consideration whenever the produce updates to current software. We are, after all, the life blood of their runaway success, a fact that should always be their most salient point to consider!

Anyway..

Found this link and followed advice and it has improved the running of my iPad dramatically. I would say that it is now running as good as it was before the update. I'm now running ios9.1 and all seems good.

Here's the link http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/18/slow-ios-9-speed-up-tips/

Hope this helps

Nov 10, 2015 6:53 AM in response to Brianmab

I have an iPad Air with iOS 9.1 and the latest version of Pages. I noticed that some things are too slow, like the font selection: when you touch the font icon you have to wait more than two seconds until the font list displays. In addition, there are some features that are included in the iCloud version but not in the iOS version.

Nov 18, 2015 8:30 AM in response to Brianmab

I have the same problem here on my iPad 2 when updated to iOS 9.1, it became extremely slow and frustrating, turned from a useful device to a useless one. I went to what so called the genius bar to downgrade and reinstall the an old operating system, they told me we can not help unfortunately, you agreed to the terms and conditions of the update which may include slowing your device !!??

I'm just wondering here if the genius people in apple know that the old device is incapable of dealing with the new operating system(i'm sure they know that), why the **** they send you the update !!!!! Their answer is to protect you from viruses ...etc...etc

I think the only reason is to force you to dump your old one and buy a new one to expand the multi billion apple empire. The same thing happened with my iPhone before, I didn't pay attention to it at that time, I just bought a new one and moved on.

You know what.... despite being a long term advocate of apple product, I decided its not worth it anymore, no more apple products.

Cheers,

Nov 26, 2015 8:43 AM in response to HundredPercent

I have the same issue with iPad 2, iOS 9.1

-reboots randomly

-crashes in email, notes,....random application

-it stops and then after a minute starts,

Funny enough I was trying to convince a friend saying iPad is all you need, no crash, no hang,...

The reason I update the OS was because my Notes stopped syncing with my Mac and iPhone, and I thought I upgrade it so the notes get sync; not knowing by being unintentionally force to do so , since Notepad is not backward compatible, I made my iPad2 useless; not being sarcastic, but I think other options for Tablet are now more attractive, knowing anything I buy now, at some point will be useless, and perhaps I will lose Notes again in new versions, if I do not upgrade, hence buy a new hardware.

I guess the backward compatibility when new OS is released should be highlighted for the users.

If incompatibiliy of Notes was mentioned before releasing the update, I unreservedly apologise,

Nov 26, 2015 8:47 AM in response to HenryMa

This is most likely due to older hardware than due to iOS problems. I own an iPhone 4 on iOS 7.1.2 & I get the same stuff. And if you think this is a problem, try buying a tab that can never be updated as apps get updated. Obsolescence occurs much, much faster there. Upgrading is inevitable as long as you're using tech. I'm using an iPad 4 to type this & its having lag problems as the iOS version grow. You'll have to ditch iPad 2 now, it's outlived its capacity to effectively handle iOS. I have about one more iOS version & im done for too.

Nov 26, 2015 9:18 AM in response to HundredPercent

hi

I believe it has to do with the hardware, as you do.

upgrading three devices, Mac, iPhone, and iPad, especially because now they sync some Apps, is not for me; I should consider other OSs, rather than upgrading hardware. But this is personal choice, unless as i mentioned Apple includes Apps compatibility after the upgrade, where then I know the risk of upgrading,

Dec 1, 2015 7:23 PM in response to Brianmab

My iPad 2 is with iOS 9.02, unbearably slow, and no hope to downgrade to 8.x. So I googled for tips on performance improvement. You can also try in google by searching the key words such as "ipad 2 ios 9 how to make it faster", which lists out web sites such as: (http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/18/slow-ios-9-speed-up-tips/).

Following the instructions, I toggled a few switches in general setting (for transparency setting, motion effect, background app refreshment, and Spotlight searching). It is getting way better now, not great, but way better. Anyways, hopefully the tips work on your 9.1.

Dec 13, 2015 12:04 PM in response to Brianmab

I have been having the same problem with the pages app on my iPad 2. Apparently this is something that most of us are running into room with the rapid Upgrades to OSX9 that are being released. I followed the advice of MAlc957hyak who posted on Nov 8 who suggested the website http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/18/slow-ios-9-speed-up-tips/ and I found that the suggestions of reducing contrast, reducing motion and turning off background-app refresh has helped considerably. It has obviously not eliminated the problem of the delays, hesitation and crashing and it has slightly reduced overall appearance, but it has made the problem less aggravating. The answer will obviously be in future bug-fixes for Pages and/or IOS9, but for now it makes Pages usable enough that you aren't looking around for a new word processor. I am also a writer and have always liked Pages, but the delays and hesitation have made it almost impossible to rely upon.

Dec 13, 2015 12:31 PM in response to Catbrain

HI,

not sure how to say it! I had the same issue, but somehow it became less and less of a problem. Not sure why. i have 32 gb and had around 1.5 gb free, which may be used as cache if more memory is need because of new feathure in iOS 9.

however now, memory is much less under a gig and it is sort of back to normal. The diffence is i am using less photos, less google drive to either upload or view photos from google drive.

Now mostly email and bbc news, etc, neverthe less much better.

last night I upgrade it to 9.2 and apart from around 30 minutes, unexpected behaviours,it is os ok now and no complain since last night

iPad 2 iOS 9.1 - Pages running very slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.