Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMovie and Firelight drives

I am wanting to do some home video stuff using iMovie 4 and possibly final cut pro 3.0 on a PB 17" / 1.5 ghz / 10.3.9 / 1gb ram.

I need an external drive to store the video data and am wondering if the Firelight drive is suitable for use in video editing.

Thanks in advance for any replies

PB 17" 1.5Ghz, Mac OS X (10.3.9), G4-400 / G3-350 / iBook-366

Posted on Nov 5, 2006 8:26 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 5, 2006 11:09 PM

Is it a Firewire drive? If so, then most definitely.
3 replies

Nov 6, 2006 4:44 AM in response to Christo

It's good that you're looking ahead and considering an external drive, as video editing takes alot of disk space, both for editing and storage.

You can use an external hard drive with a firewire connection, which is preferred over a USB-only connection. If you want to maximize the speed, you'll use an external drive which supports the faster FireWire 800 (IEEE 1394b) port your system has.

You might consider building your own. Sounds daunting, but it's really very easy. The benefit is that you can use a hard drive with a 3 or 5 year warranty, unlike most complete units that only have a 1 year warranty.

It's really as easy as this: Buy the drive you want (I'm currently using a 3.5" Western Digital 320gb drive). Generally I've found the Western Digital drives run cooler than others. Buy the case you want (the oxford chip set works well in my case), take the cover off the case, insert the wide plug from the electronics in the case to the hard drive, insert the power plug in the case to the hard drive, attach 4 screws to hold the hard drive in the case, reinstall the cover, done!

In the US, Newegg at http://www.newegg.com and OWC at http://www.macsales.com both have good selections of hard drives and cases.

Nov 6, 2006 6:57 AM in response to Christo

Ditto to BGreg. The outlets he points to are resonablly priced vesus FIreLight. They are to expensive for the SAME drives. Build your own.

Hitachi and Seagate drives do well. They do make 2.5 inch as well as full size drives.

USB 2.0 while faster at 480 vs FW400 at 400 is actually slower when comparing sustained rates. The FW is faster overall.

MJ

iMovie and Firelight drives

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.