Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can't import ARD Plist

So I've been trying to copy over the "com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist" file into /Users/username/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Prefere nces/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist.

The file that's inside is 5KB

When I copy my 203KB file over, then relaunch Remote Desktop, it magically vanishes and reverts back to the 3KB file.

Here's a video of what happens. I'm baffled.

http://www.kalukalafilms.com/filechute/remote%20desktop%20issue.mp4

Anybody know how I can import the PLIST file? It's driving me bonkers.

Mac Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 5:12 PM

5 replies

Sep 16, 2015 2:56 AM in response to Brandon Walter

You shouldn't be using the Finder to copy over plist files from one location to another as doing very often 'mangles' the permissions associated with the file you're replacing. Applications referencing/using important files (such as property lists) expect certain permissions assigned to that file. If those permissions change the Application either can't use the copied file (which can potentially stop the Application from working properly) or the Application re-creates a file and its permissions it expects to be there. You really should use Terminal to do this sort of thing anyway which is something I can help you with. Quick question: where does the file you're trying to copy come from?

Sep 16, 2015 6:07 PM in response to Antonio Rocco

Ok. just tried it using the "cp" command in terminal.

cp -i /Volumes/1TB\ EVO/Users/brandon/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Prefe rences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist /Volumes/500GB/Users/brandon/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Li brary/Preferences

overwrite /Volumes/500GB/Users/brandon/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Li brary/Preferences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist

from Evo volume on one machine to 500GB machine connected via AFP.

Same result! After opening Remote Desktop, the plist reverts to it's 5k file.

Sep 18, 2015 2:58 AM in response to Brandon Walter

What happens if you try:

sudo cp -R /source volume/source file /destination volume/destination file

When prompted key in your admin password which you won't see being typed. Bur before doing the above issue this command first:

sudo ls -lae /Volumes/1TB\ EVO/Users/brandon/Library/Containers/com.apple.RemoteDesktop/Data/Library/Prefe rences/com.apple.RemoteDesktop.plist

The result should be something like this:

-rw------- 1 username staff 9922

issue the list command again after doing the copy to see if the permissions have been preserved. Beyond this and without being there all I can further suggest is there may be something else going on you're either not aware of or you've not mentioned. All I can tell you is on my unaltered/unmodified system it works as expected without the behaviour you're seeing.

Can't import ARD Plist

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.