Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I can't believe this: "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform..."

Hi everybody!

Well, I finally got some time to do a clean install of Windows 10 after I got the free upgrade from 7.

But, oh my... This is so infuriating. Looks like it simply cannot be done in an easy way. Here's the thing. I already tried two different images of Windows 10. Both 64 bit. One is from the Media Creation Tool. Another one is downloaded directly from the Microsoft's website. No matter which ISO I'm trying to use, I get the same annoying message from Boot Camp Assistant:

Your bootable USB drive could not be created

Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform. Please use an ISO file for Windows 7 or later installation.

Well, hello! Apple, developers, anybody... Windows 10 is a "later" OS, therefore, it should work.

I saw some people having the same issue but nobody really gives a solution (only stuff like, "download a '64 bit only' iso") so, I hope we can find some kind of solution here.

I'm running fully updated Mountain Lion 10.8.5 on MacBook Pro Retina 15-inch Early 2013. Boot Camp Assistant says it's 5.0.4 (473).

Thanks!User uploaded file

MacBook Pro with Retina display, OS X Mountain Lion (10.8.5)

Posted on Sep 15, 2015 3:39 PM

37 replies

Sep 15, 2015 4:33 PM in response to Loner T

Thanks! The thread you mentioned covers a problem with the video driver that occurs after the installation process already started.

Also, is it possible to update BCA manually from 5.0.4 to 5.1.4? As far as I know (I might be wrong), it can only be updated through the App Store's updates, and the only thing that shows up there is "No Updates Available". Neither any kind of "check for updates" option can be found in the BCA's menus.

Sep 15, 2015 5:18 PM in response to Stas Sagdeyev

This is a bit tricky. Since BCA is bundled with OS X, the only way to get a higher version of BCA is by upgrading OS X Versions, if the software update does not show any pending updates. This decision to upgrade OS X versions should not be taken lightly, because it has repercussions on Applications compatibility, for example iPhoto, Airport Utility, etc. It can introduce newer bugs.

I suggest using a test Mac if available, and running Yosemite. In absence of such an option, How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support is an option, but it introduces another disk in the mix which BCA will run into issues with. You can use a USB flash drive, but it will be slow.

Sep 15, 2015 5:06 PM in response to Loner T

Oh, no... Is this really happening? I think I found my first official reason to really hate Apple.

I have not upgraded to Mavericks or Yosemite for the sake of compatibility with professional audio hardware and software I'm using, so there's no way I'm moving anywhere from Mountain Lion.

If this is really the state of things concerning the dependency of Boot Camp Assistant from the OS version, then it's really a shame, Apple!

Any advanced user understands that it makes no difference which version of Mac OS is installed as long as another OS is installed on a separate partition. Forcing a Mac OS upgrade just to give users a possibility to run Windows 10 is absolutely unacceptable.

Sep 15, 2015 5:24 PM in response to Stas Sagdeyev

Please do not be so hasty in blaming Apple. You want to run W10 released on 29 Jul 2015 on an OS X version released on 25 July 2012 and still want to use the peripherals supported on ML. Do you see how much of this is based on your own decisions? 😉

I have not upgraded to Mavericks or Yosemite for the sake of compatibility with professional audio hardware and software I'm using, so there's no way I'm moving anywhere from Mountain Lion.

Does your Audio hardware/software have a Yosemite-compatible release?

Depending on your Mac year/model, it may be possible to install W10 without using BCA.

If you are on ML, is your Mac supported by Apple (not Microsoft) as mentioned in the link that BobTheFisherman provided ?

Sep 15, 2015 5:43 PM in response to Loner T

You want to run W10 released on 29 Jul 2015 on an OS X version released on 25 July 2012 and still want to the peripherals supported. Do you see how much of this is based on your own decisions?

Well, to understand that there cannot possibly be any logic in this dependency, we need to understand first that Windows doesn't run on OS X. It runs on its own, from its own partition. That is why it cannot possibly matter which version of OS X I have.

No. If there was, I would not still be on Mountain Lion.

If you are on ML, is your Mac supported by Apple (not Microsoft) as mentioned using the link that BobTheFisherman provided ?

Of course. It is all in the first post.

Sep 15, 2015 5:51 PM in response to Loner T

an option, How to install OS X on an external drive connected to your Mac - Apple Support is an option, but it introduces another disk in the mix which BCA will run into issues with. You can use a USB flash drive, but it will be slow.

I had no idea Apple actually supported external drives serving as a main system disk (since all the usual limitations of i-devices made me think that wasn't remotely possible).

Then, I'll try to find a workaround installing Yosemite on my external USB3 drive with later partitioning it with the new (and improved) Boot Camp Assistant for Windows 10.

Loner T, Thanks a lot for this idea!

Sep 15, 2015 5:56 PM in response to Stas Sagdeyev

Stas Sagdeyev wrote:

You want to run W10 released on 29 Jul 2015 on an OS X version released on 25 July 2012 and still want to the peripherals supported. Do you see how much of this is based on your own decisions?

Well, to understand that there cannot possibly be any logic in this dependency, we need to understand first that Windows doesn't run on OS X. It runs on its own, from its own partition. That is why it cannot possibly matter which version of OS X I have.

There is common hardware between the two OSes, the drivers for both OSes for Apple-specific hardware come from Apple or Apple OEMs. The dependency is on tools that you use to install either OS, which you want to conveniently ignore. This tool came from Apple, not Microsoft. The underlying device firmware is the same across both OSes. Your viewpoint is too narrow to suit your argument. Do you agree?

No. If there was, I would not still be on Mountain Lion.

This seems to be the crux of the problem.

If you are on ML, is your Mac supported by Apple (not Microsoft) as mentioned using the link that BobTheFisherman provided ?

Of course. It is all in the first post.

Your Mac is a preUEFI Mac, so W10 (and any other Windows OS) cannot be installed using EFI Boot. If you have a currently running Windows (non-W10) installation, have you considered a W7-to-W10 upgrade? In other words, install W7/W8 (which is supported) and once you have a self-contained Windows 7/8 installation, execute an in-place upgrade of W7/W8 to W10. Will that get you to where you wanted to be? I assume you have a W7/W8 license and want the free W10 upgrade, not a W10 clean install.

A W10 clean installation is not possible given your current set-up.

Sep 15, 2015 6:16 PM in response to Stas Sagdeyev

Can I suggest trying the W7/W8 to W10 upgrade path first?

If you choose to use the external USB Yosemite path, do not use an external USB HDD, use a flash drive. An external USB/FW disk drive will cause problems. An external Thunderbolt drive will force you to erase your internal disk and is not recommended, because a TB drive is also a PCI-attached disk drive for the storage layer.

Oct 9, 2015 5:04 AM in response to Stas Sagdeyev

I have the exact same problem! Here is the error message:

"Need 64-bit Windows 8 or later ISO file.

Boot Camp only supports 64-bit Windows 8 or later installation on this platform.

Please use an ISO file for 64-bit Windows 8 or later installation."

Macbook Pro (early 2015)

El Capitan 10.11

Bootcamp 6.0.0

Windows 10 home (flash drive purchased at Best Buy)

I can't believe this: "Boot Camp only supports Windows 7 or later installation on this platform..."

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.