Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

How do I use Siri to make a calendar event without connecting it to my contacts?

I have a patient who is blind and I am trying to teach him how to use Siri to make calendar appointments. We often get stuck when Siri wants to connect the appointment request to his contacts. He says "schedule and appointment with Jim tomorrow at 10am". Siri then says "which Jim?" and lists a few from his contacts. If the person is not listed in his contacts we cannot create the calendar event. The only success we've had is when he is creating a calendar event that does not include a person's name (doctor appointment, therapy, etc). Any ideas?

iPhone 5s

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 8:39 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Oct 28, 2015 9:42 PM

Hello,

You could try saying, "Make an event called 'Appointment with Jim' for tomorrow at 10am.'"

-Fluzz

3 replies

Aug 29, 2016 1:42 PM in response to fluzz

I tried

"Make an appointment called appointment with John and Bruce for Friday at 2 p.m."—it asked for "which John?"

"Make an event called appointment with John and Bruce for Friday at 2 p.m."—it asked for "which one?"

What finally worked is if I said this:

"Make an event called, quote, appointment with John and Bruce, unquote, for Friday at 2 p.m."

Note that I had to say the words "quote" and "unquote" to Siri. It then surrounded the title of my appointment with " and ", which is annoying.

What I call an absolutely ridiculous BUG that Apple needs to fix is that when I press "some other John" it then does not simply leave off the name from the invite list (I don't need to alert the other person to my record of the appointment!), it actually uses some arbitrary and WRONG John from my list! Grr!

Dec 27, 2016 1:56 PM in response to DadDude429

Hard to believe they've never discovered this issue. It's like their developers don't use all the features. A simple solution is to default to just what you say, unless you use the whole name, which is in the contacts. Then, a simple option for some other "Mike Johnson," (sorry, Mike Johnsons) that says "other," for which Siri will take your word.

How do I use Siri to make a calendar event without connecting it to my contacts?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.