Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Don't give up on Aperture

I think that giving up on Aperture and accepting its demise is not our only option, Aperture is by far the best digital photo application that Apple (or indeed any other software developer) have created and as such, must not be allowed to disappear.

If we all create a groundswell of opinion we can persuade them to reinstate this Rolls Royce of an application. Lets unite, and rise up to remind Apple that Adobe cannot be the provsole digital photo platform on the planet.

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 8:11 AM

466 replies

Mar 26, 2017 4:45 PM in response to diveactive

I support you all the way , I have just destroyed my life in photography, All because I wanted a new camera for holiday shoots. Only to have to up grade to sierra. Now aperture will not work the photos is no good , you just cannot work the skills and tools that aperture had.

As Allan Eckert pointed out, Aperture 3.6 is working on Sierra. Is the problem, that Aperture does not support the RAW format of your new camera? Aperture does no longer seem to be compatible with the new RAW support released as part of the macOS 10.12.2 update. (https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207049).

For the most recent released RAW support for the cameras below, you will need to develop the RAW in Photos for Mac or another application and save the developed photo as a TIFF file or in another lossless format, before you can use the photos in Aperture.

Canon EOS 5D Mark IV

Canon EOS M5

Fujifilm X-T23

Nikon D3400

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-G8 / G80 / G85

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-LX9 / LX10 / LX15

Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FZ2500

Pentax K-70

Mar 26, 2017 2:39 PM in response to rodphoto

I support you all the way , I have just destroyed my life in photography, All because I wanted a new camera for holiday shoots. Only to have to up grade to sierra. Now aperture will not work the photos is no good , you just cannot work the skills and tools that aperture had. I just want to sell it all now and give up. as its pointless trying to work in light room. its to small to read im 57 eyes getting worse. All I got is my photography. Now that being taken from me. Wedding soon and how to work? Aperture you can spin and crop , so many adjustments, I cannot afford any more pay out. Thinking to just some how try to go back to lion. How the **** can you work where there is no internet with this cloud rubbish?

Mar 27, 2017 12:30 AM in response to léonie

Ok I have decided that the rw2 files of my camera from Lumix TZ80 is not worth losing aperture . I cannot find a copy of aperture 3.6 anywhere on the net. So I feel my only option is to now format the drive and re install lion to run aperture. This losing aperture, is like divorce ! Or a family member dying. Just so gutted, as I just tried over the years to learn Lightroom. Its to complicated and lacks work flow. I know I will have to learn , to guide other, However f you can get me aperture 3.6. this would make me very happy indeed. Im not bothered with compatibility of the new camera now. Having Aperture is more important.

I up grades to Sierra and aperture is not working, support got me to use photos, I just as well use j peg as there is no raw tools. And as for cloud? when there is no internet?

Mar 27, 2017 9:42 AM in response to AFS_BR

To right I am. I bought my Mac for the reason when I changed to digital and scrub zoo in Borneo where I lived for 9 years. The recommended Mac and the aperture program . Due to my dyslexia . But skill in photography.

I tried photoshop elements and Light room. After discovering Aperture, I went in to argument when I took courses in photography, on its use and easy (user friendly) applications and hands on tools . I bout the fist relese in 2008 I think my be earlier . then bout 2 and then 3 all Origional programs from Mac Borneo , I think 3 was bough here in Apple in Exeter.

Its part of me as used it every day for 9 years.

Mar 27, 2017 9:45 AM in response to diveactive

Hi,

I'm a heavy Aperture and Panasonic user and honestly, the only program that I use to develop raw files is DxO Optics. You can use it all the important raw stuff line optical corrrections, sharpness and extreme highlight/shadow recovering on it and then export , as an intermediate form, to Aperture and do the non critical raw adjustments on it, for example rotation, color ****, vibrance, curves, etc on it.

Some day Aperture will stop working and Apple's raw engine may not be updated for older systems.

Always think before doing a system update and check before if something you use will be compatible.

My advise is to buy an external HD and install any new OS version on it and test before updating the internal HD.

Mar 28, 2017 5:01 AM in response to rodphoto

HA HA I done what supporting good dedicated people like your self asked. I called apple and persisted to get a redeem code , finally just got it, Bit strange as no down load, after entering it, Way hay, aperture started working and up dated, OMG it faster then ever. And I just ordered a hybrid hard drive too. Well happy. Thank you for your support.

Mar 29, 2017 12:36 AM in response to Csound1

Thanks for the advice, Thought that one over and over. Lacks storage space and out of my budget. Something for the future. But may get one to pop into my optic drive , once I copied all my back ups photos twice. Its all very well these companies pushing towards cloud . Not everywhere in the world has fixed internet and can afford the monthly fees, They build up and up. What with car insurance and tax for the car and having to breathe in the UK , My RPS fee and its a list. So large storage drives are still the best bet. Now have to find another job too.

Thank again.

Mar 29, 2017 4:34 AM in response to rodphoto

The Apple lead engineer for Aperature left the company a while ago and has started his own company: Gentlemencoders

The first product is a RAW photo processor as an extension for Photos. It is also a standalone app called RAW Power. Those who use Aperature will be familiar with the UI. Early reviews are mostly 5 stars. The company seems dedicated to reviving at least some of the features of Aperature.

For more information:

https://thisweekinphoto.com/twip-apps-21-raw-power/

Gentlemecoders.com

Nov 7, 2017 10:31 PM in response to Lanny

It is not as bad as that. The RAW support is working in Aperture for all camera models, that have been supported previously, until the developement of Aperture stopped. Digital Camera RAW Compatibility Update 6.17 is the last that is working with Aperture. But the RAW support for new cameras, released with El Capitan and newer systems appears not to be recognized by Aperture.

Nov 8, 2017 1:03 AM in response to diveactive

Unfortunately you will have to change at some point. Some folks say that they won't update the OS and just keep using Aperture, but one day your Mac will break and you'll need to replace it. At that point you will have to use a new OS, and if Aperture won't run on that, then you will have a crisis on you hands.

Now is the time to evaluate alternatives and select one, so that you can do the transition is an orderly and managed fashion. If you think that might be too stressful, then imagine the stress when you're learning a new OS on a new computer and a new app all at the same time, and you can't even access the Aperture Library.

Adobe are not the only people with apps in this space, tho probably LR is the nearest to Aperture, and has a migration tool. But there are others: Capture One, Corel AfterShot, ON1 PhotoRaw, Luminar promises a new DAM app in 2018 and so on.

Frankly, I don't see that you have a choice. Do it now when it can be managed, or later when it's a crisis. That's your choice.

Nov 8, 2017 2:25 AM in response to rodphoto

As I have dyslexia and many other I know have trouble mapping work flow in Adobe, Light room is frustrating I just cannot get used to it. Also my friend who has worked in editing and printing all his life hates Lite room.

I am just starting to play with Infinity . But it still does not offer the ease of loading all your photos into one program, where you can flick through albums and watch videos name , shame , edit , export and resize, and water mark . everything a photographer need for ease and speed. The day that changes or if this mac I just up graded this 2011 with 2 Hybrid HD 3 TB . that support firewire to my other back ups. if it buggers up I will buy another used one.

I don't like playing music on Blue tooth, I like the optic out out on this MBP . Bitter that apple messed up with the speakers on this model , However. itd got HD screen and its fast, I more then probably buy an I mac when I have my own place to live, I just cannot afford to PAY FOR UP GRADE, I WILL NEVER TRUST THE CLOUD,

If that all goes , Then its throw in the towel and go fishing more.

losing aperture would be like taking away life support for me. It does what i want it to. If apple dont want it then let a developer have it who does. Who listens and not live off is EGO!

Don't give up on Aperture

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.