Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple Replaced iCloud Locked iPhone 6

I do hope Apple would and always reject to service any stolen device with iCloud Locked / Activation locked (Find My iPhone is activated and Turn On Lost Mode) at the local service center.

Unfortunately the local service center does replaced the mentioned Activation Locked and stolen iPhone 6 and below are some of the information I found and let me share it over here:

From the Apple Selfsolve (https://selfsolve.apple.com/agreementWarrantyDynamic.do), I entered the device serial number to check the warranty.

User uploaded file

From this print screen, it indicated that the mentioned iPhone's Serial Number & IMEI has been replaced.

When I checked through the Apple Support Profile (https://supportprofile.apple.com/), the mentioned device has a Repair Case for it.

User uploaded file

The mentioned device has been sent to one of the local Apple Authorized Service Center (by walk in).

User uploaded file

So I managed to examine further data hat attached to the Repair Case:

The Repair Case has been created on 23 June 2015 at a local Apple Authorized Service Center.

User uploaded file

These Repair Case Data also show that the device was originally purchase on 6 November 2014 (My iPhone 6 was purchased on 6 November 2014).

User uploaded file

The mentioned iCloud Locked device had replaced by Apple with new IMEI Number & Serial Number.

The device is ready for dispatch on 1 July 2015, hence the record below show the replaced iPhone 6 has a extended warranty to July 1, 2016instead of Nov 6, 2015 (The device originally purchased on 6 Nov 2014 and activated on the same day)

User uploaded file

Right now, the third party who sent the stolen iPhone and successfully get away with a new replacement.

By query the Activation Lock Page (https://www.icloud.com/activationlock/), the replaced device is now able to be owned or registered / activated by new user.

User uploaded file

iPhone 6, iOS 8.3

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 9:09 AM

12 replies

Sep 16, 2015 9:37 AM in response to everest92

Sometimes the police can help.

http://www.cultofmac.com/137669/apples-policies-on-theft-allow-a-thief-to-get-a- free-replacement-for-your-stolen-iphone/

"Thankfully for Barkley, police managed to obtain his iPhone and have it returned before it was sent off for servicing."

If not, maybe a small claims court case against the Apple store for holding stolen property.

Sep 16, 2015 9:50 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Hi Macolm, thanks! I had contacted local enforcement about this case and the police had done some investigation on it. However the feedback from the local service center was: They accept the device regardless it is stolen or not for service and repair, the service center also accept a payment of approximately 325 USD to replace the device.

Sep 16, 2015 10:34 AM in response to everest92

They can't not replace it without a court order if it's brought in with a hardware problem or physical damage. They will not replace a phone because it is Activation Locked, but as I said, Apple is not a law enforcement agency. The fact that it is activation locked is not proof that it is stolen. Apple does not track stolen devices. This is an issue for the police, not Apple.

If you filed a report that your original phone was stolen, then go back to the police with the evidence that Apple replaced it for someone. Apple should have a record of who brought it in for replacement. They will not, however, give up that information without a court order.

Sep 16, 2015 10:43 AM in response to everest92

Talk to your lawyer about it. They don't have the legal right to do that. They will not, however, remove the activation lock from a device without proof of purchase or proof of ownership for the account it's locked with. Hardware service is a different thing entirely.

Debating what you think Apple should or should not do is pointless, outside the scope of these forums, and a violation of the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.

Let it go. Take it up with police. Ranting about it will solve nothing.

Apple Replaced iCloud Locked iPhone 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.