Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

After iPad iOS 9 update you can't use 10.6.x

Did the iOS 9 software update for my iPad Air 2. I use a Mac Pro running 10.6.8 & iTunes 11.4 (18). Upon reboot of the iPad and connecting to iTunes it pops up a message saying it requires a newer Version of iTunes and pushes me off to itunes.com to get one. Of course if I run Software Update or even Check for Update withing itunes they all report I'm current. $)#*&$)&@#^$!!!

Thanks, Apple, you screwed us all. No more syncing, copying playlists etc... MAYBE, and I doubt it, maybe doing it over wifi is not broke yet...

I know I could do Mavericks or Yosemite, even have it on a 2nd SSD, but too much hassle. Regardless a LOT of my software will break and my media files serving over the network from the Pro (Samba) will definitely break, much less my Mac playing common files in a mkv container won't work on the desktop. One of the most common things out there. Sure I could convert to mp4, but the minute you add a default 5.1 or 6 Channel surround track it won't play. I thought it was all about making life simpler but the stuff you started in 10.7 broke and left behind a bunch of people.

iPad Air 2 WiFi, Cellular, iOS 8.1.2, Gold 128GB

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 11:56 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 11:58 AM

Ohh,, one more thing...

I guess this will also will affect me if I update my 6 Plus or buy a new 6S Plus. Both of which I was planning to do....

23 replies

Sep 17, 2015 12:48 PM in response to Demo

It seems it is not just newer iphones/ipads. I am in a real pickle after updating my ipad 2 via itunes 11.4 (the last version compatible with snow leopard).

I did my usual before updating. Full backup, then I selected to erase and update as per Apple's advice for previous version if you were having issues with wifi etc.

The issue is my ipad updated, however itunes says I need a newer version, but there is no newer version than 11.4 for 10.6.8. Does anyone know how i can restore my apps,email,photos,work docs etc from another mac? I am assuming I will have to locate some sort of folder with all my backup info.

Regards

PJ

ps Very poor job Apple. Dont allow updates via software that is not compatible!

Sep 17, 2015 4:03 PM in response to Demo

Thanks again Demo, the advice in your link worked.

The good news if you are on 10.6.8 is that you can easily copy your backup onto a mac that is 10.7.## and upwards.

Copy your info in "/Users/YOUR USER NAME/Library/Application Support/MobileSync/Backup" to the same path on the newer mac os, launch iTunes and go to the devices tab in itunes preferences. You should see the backup with the date and name of your device from your old mac.

I used a Mac running 10.9.5 with the latest version of iTunes and all is well. It ***** that you can't use 10.6.8, but I would rather keep my MacBook Pro on Snow Leopard as the speed advantage far outweighs the ball ache of syncing/updating/backing up on a different machine.

Once again, shame on you Apple!!! If this was an oversight,please fix it!. If it was an intentional omission to try get me to upgrade my os, DOUBLE shame!!!!!!!!

Sep 17, 2015 8:59 PM in response to Demo

I am aware of the official requirement specs for ios 9. What I did may not last through the next ios 9 update, but I have two iPhone 6 phones syncing successfully on a 10.6.8 iMac running iTunes 11.4 (build 18). I did a little test. One phone was updated OTA to ios 9 and other updated to ios 9 through iTunes. The OTA phone synced fine with iTunes 11.4. The iTunes updated phone would not sync and iTunes would ask for an update to the latest version. I rolled back the iTunes updated iPhone 6 to ios 8.4.1 by putting it in recovery mode and using an 8.4.1 ipsw. After restoring the iPhone 6, I then updated it OTA to ios 9 and it now syncs fine with the iTunes 11.4 on the 10.6.8 iMac. I hope that this may help anyone that may need a stop-gap measure before updating to a more recent Mac OS X version.

Sep 18, 2015 9:01 AM in response to TigerSSMac

Downgrade to iOS 8.

Go to this web page of OS X Daily – http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/16/downgrade-ios-9-back-to-ios-8-4-1/ – and download the old iOS 8.4.1 IPSW file (it will be downloaded from a trusted Apple server), then reinstall it before Apple closes the window gap and stop signing iOS 8 (when this will occur, you'll be not able to downgrade it anymore).

Follow the directions you'll find in the article to downgrade within iTunes.

After that, if you want iOS 9 again, follow the tipsof drtheseus.

HURRY UP!

Sep 18, 2015 8:31 PM in response to drtheseus

I can confirm this....at least the part about updating via OTA and not using iTunes. I just updated an iPad 2 and my iPhone 6 to iOS 9 on the device OTA. I did backup each device to iTunes 11.4 under Snow Leopard. Then I ran the OTA updater. Each device was seen by iTunes 11.4 after the update, both on WiFI and by wired connection.

As usual, YMMV. As someone mentioned, it's best to hurry if you need to go back to iOS 8.1.4 before Apple stops signing/authorizing those files.

After iPad iOS 9 update you can't use 10.6.x

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.