Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is it possible use WDS function with Airport extreme and other brand router?

Hi there: I have an airport extreme and a netgear R7000 router. I'm planing set the airport as base router and set the R7000 as a repeater. I guess the WDS function should be used in the connection. I've got the support document from netgear , which explains how do I set it as repeater. However, I can not find any manual settings in airport utility. The version of airport utility is 6.3.5.I'm stuck in here. Thanks a lot!

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 11:57 AM

4 replies

Sep 16, 2015 12:16 PM in response to Achillesna

Since Apple uses proprietary settings for their "extend" feature......designed to only work with other Apple routers.....It is extremely unlikely that the Netgear will be able to be set up to do what you want.

I've yet to find a Netgear product that was compatible with Apple's extend feature, but I've not tried the R7000, so I suppose anything is possible.

Apple has not included a WDS set up option since they introduced the 6.x.x versions of AirPort Utility well over 3 years ago, so if the Netgear really does require WDS type settings, then the AirPort is just not going to work in this case.

Is it possible that you are asking about WPS......not WDS?

Apple does include what is known as a WPS set up option, which is normally used for printer setup. How well....or even if.....that might work with another extender or repeater....I cannot say.

Sep 16, 2015 2:17 PM in response to Achillesna

Let me be a bit more Extreme than Bob..

Your Extreme is Extremely difficult to Extend by anything other than another Extreme .. or other apple router.

If the R7000 supports universal repeater mode.. it will work.. but it has serious issues as well. Don't do it.

You must connect the R7000 by ethernet to the Extreme or use EOP adapters or some other method.. eg wireless bridge in front of the R7000.

Nov 30, 2015 7:52 PM in response to Achillesna

It IS possible!

I set up my brand new Airport Extreme as my primary router and configured my Netgear R7000 Nighthawk as a wireless bridge. So my R7000 is wirelessly connected to my entertainment devices located in my living room and the speed is remarkable. I average about 290 to 300 mb/s in my study which is where my APE is located. When I connected my macbook pro to the R7000 in my living room (opposite side of the house which is approximately 50+ feet away) my speed was 130 mb/s on the 2.4GHz frequency. Before that, I had it configured on the 5 GHz frequency and was getting the full 290 to 300 mb/s speed as if I were hard wired directly into my modem or APE. It took me 3 days to figure out how to set up my R7000 as a wireless bridge with an APE as the primary router but I did it. Anyway, it is possible to do the same for repeater mode. All the steps are the same for configuring the R7000 as a wireless bridge till you get to the last step. That's when you have to select repeater mode instead of bridge mode.

BTW, Airplay and AppleTV performance is stable on the 2.4 GHz frequency and all devices work seamlessly. 5 GHz is great also but there were a couple of times where I had trouble getting the audio to play while streaming video through Airplay. Figured out it was the radio frequency I was using so that's why I switched from the 5 GHz to the 2.4.

Nov 30, 2015 9:35 PM in response to Kev214

Kev214 wrote:

It IS possible!

Ok.. just to be clear.. It is NOT possible.. if you answer the question.. which is WDS.

What you are using is universal repeater.. not WDS.

And there are some severe limitations with universal repeater.. eg try assigning an IP to a MAC address of anything behind your repeater.. It is not possible because the repeater spoofs the MAC address.

Is it possible use WDS function with Airport extreme and other brand router?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.