Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unable to transfer purchased from iOS 9 device

I can't transfer any of my purchases from my iOS 9 devices to my iTunes Library now. But I still can do it from an iOS 8.4.1 device. iTunes acts like it is scanning my iOS device and trying to transfer, but suddenly it just drop, nothing done. Has anyone run into the same issue?

iPhone 6 Plus (iOS 9 13A344), iPod touch 5 Gen (iOS 9 13A344), iPhone 5c (iOS 8.4.1 12H321) and OS X 10.10.5 with iTunes 12.3.

MacBook Pro, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5), null

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 12:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 1:13 PM

Ive the same issue. When i had the iOS 8.4.1 in my iPhone 6 Plus, i did backup every week in my iTunes. When i click the backup button, itunes asked me for backup my apps, and later i can see the backup and the apps in iTunes. But everything change after install the iOS 9 in my iPhone. Now when i click the backup buttom, iTunes dont ask about the backup apps. Just "backup", but im not sure, because, when i go to the apps area, i cant see the last installed apps in my iphone, and was supposted to backup it in the iTunes. I called Apple Technical Support, but the dont help. I need to backup again iPhone.

For example. If i restore my iPhone, and then restore from the backup, the apps dont install to the iphone. Its a nightmare. But if downgrade to iOS 8.4.1. I can do it again perfectly.

So thats means its something with the iOS 9 and iTunes. BTW ive the new iTunes update 12.3 in my Mac.

HELP ME!!!!

15 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2015 1:13 PM in response to Hal Chan

Ive the same issue. When i had the iOS 8.4.1 in my iPhone 6 Plus, i did backup every week in my iTunes. When i click the backup button, itunes asked me for backup my apps, and later i can see the backup and the apps in iTunes. But everything change after install the iOS 9 in my iPhone. Now when i click the backup buttom, iTunes dont ask about the backup apps. Just "backup", but im not sure, because, when i go to the apps area, i cant see the last installed apps in my iphone, and was supposted to backup it in the iTunes. I called Apple Technical Support, but the dont help. I need to backup again iPhone.

For example. If i restore my iPhone, and then restore from the backup, the apps dont install to the iphone. Its a nightmare. But if downgrade to iOS 8.4.1. I can do it again perfectly.

So thats means its something with the iOS 9 and iTunes. BTW ive the new iTunes update 12.3 in my Mac.

HELP ME!!!!

Sep 17, 2015 1:28 AM in response to jeankipr

I backup everyday, and I charge my Phones on my Mac, though iTunes won't ask me anything, it always transfer my purchases to iTunes automatically. 8 steps in a syncing process, then it's all set, app updates, songs and everything.

Now, iOS 8.4.1 on my iPhone 5c still transfer properly, while iOS 9 devices just don't transfer anything. ANYTHING!

Sep 20, 2015 4:37 AM in response to Hal Chan

It seemed that Apple had intended to disable this feature. Someone in Stackexchange had posted Apple's formal response to this "Bug" report as:

Apple Developer Relations 18-Sep-2015 02:51 PM

This issue behaves as intended based on the following: Apps are no longer transferred from iOS 9 devices. We are now closing this bug report. If you have questions about the resolution, or if this is still a critical issue for you, then please update your bug report with that information.

Sep 28, 2015 10:52 AM in response to Hal Chan

Forgot to mention in the previous post that Automatically Download doesn't work

any more either within iTunes across all devices "as advertised".

I have a Mac Mini I use as a file server and an iTunes Home Sharing server.

It is always logged into iTunes Store and has been set up to "Automatically Download"

Apps, Songs, Movies, and TV shows. Recently I purchased a couple albums on

another Mac with the same Apple ID used on the "iTunes Server". Today I was

checking out the server and found that the albums were not "Automatically Downloaded"

as they should have and only show the the little iCloud symbol saying they are available

for download. The whole point of my setting up this server was to have a central archive

of everything from anything.

I thought "Automatically Download" meant just that, not that it is available to "Download Manually"

if I want it, or has the English language changed that much in the last 50 years!!!!!!

Sep 28, 2015 11:14 AM in response to woodmeister50

Just thought I would add this little update. I have just downloaded Numbers to my iPhone

via WiFi. I then connected my iPhone to my Mac with iTunes running (and logged in to iTunes

Store). It went through a "backup and sync".

With the iPhone device selected and selecting the Apps item, Numbers is no where to be found

in the App listings. It is however showing on the screen shot on the screen I put it on. No where

is there an indication that Numbers is supposed to be on the iPhone.

This is getting very annoying!!!!!!!!!!!!

Not only that, it is not even showing in "My Apps" in iTunes itself!!

The only way to get it "synced" is to:

1. Go to purchases.

2. Select Apps

3. Select Numbers and choose download.

4. Wait for download to complete (Note: This step already done on iPhone)

5. Go back and select the iPhone and select Apps and wait to refresh.

THIS SO MUCH SIMPLER THAN JUST UPLOADING FROM THE IPHONE!!!!

Sep 28, 2015 1:56 PM in response to Hal Chan

i have reported the same problem/bug like many others quite early in this thread, since then i have been in contact with apple support through phone and emails.

I Can confirm to you that this feature has been disabled by apple due to custom app files for different iOS devices so it would save storage...ect on iOS 9

i really hope you all rest now and stop waiting for a solutIon.

you take care

Oct 9, 2015 1:22 AM in response to almuthanam

So, as this is now a feature (actually something I wanted a few years ago - to save space on the disk)... Does it mean I can also safely delete all existing .ipa files from my computer, and in case I do a restore/DFU (from backup) of an iPhone/iPad in the future, will the apps just be downloaded on the fly while restoring the device?

I'm asking this because a while ago apps that didn't have their corresponding .ipa files on the computer just wouldn't be installed when restoring from backup.

Can anyone confirm it yet?

Oct 29, 2015 5:44 AM in response to Hal Chan

I am having another issue because of this feature change.

I was in UK for 3 years and now I live in India. When I was in UK I had purchased a lot of apps that were only available in the UK store. But I had the backup of the same on iTunes on my Mac. So whenever I purchased a new iPhone I could transfer the apps from my Mac to the new iPhone, as I obviously could not download iTunes UK store ONLY apps on iTunes India store.

But since I bought the 6S the other day and tried to transfer these apps from my Mac iTunes to the iPhone 6S which is obviously on iOS 9, the apps don't transfer anymore. But this was never a problem earlier till iOS8, as all the apps were stored on my Mac and could be transferred to the phone.

I tried to change the iTunes store back to UK just to re-download the free ones, but now you cannot switch to a new iTunes store country if you don't have a credit card of that particular country, earlier you could do that by selecting the 'none' option on iTunes for credit card while changing the store.

Not only that, apps like Flappy Bird, etc. which are deleted from the app store by the developer but I had obtained them when they were available and was using on my previous iPhone with a back-up on my Mac, won't transfer to my new iPhone 6S anymore from the Mac.

This is really frustrating! I have lost over 50 apps because of this change in feature. Please help!

Unable to transfer purchased from iOS 9 device

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.