Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

stuck on slide to upgrade

So i successfully downloaded ios9 on my iphone 5s, but after selecting network screen goes back to locked screen and says "slide to update" and it gets stuck there. I've tried resetting so many times. Any work around this since i need my phone for work today.

iPhone 5s, iOS 9, null

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 2:00 PM

8 replies

Sep 17, 2015 8:01 AM in response to Dominic Kith

Hi Dominic Kith,

Thanks for using Apple Support Communities. Based on what you stated, it sounds like after an update the screen is not responding to touch. I would recommend that you read these articles, they may be helpful in troubleshooting your issue.

If the screen on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod touch doesn't respond to touch - Apple Support

Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support

Cheers

Sep 18, 2015 9:03 AM in response to RichCresswell

It doesn't work. I encountered the same problem after upgrading my iPad2 iOS today: "slide to upgrade" is unresponsive.

I did a reboot holding power and Home buttons until the device turned off. Then turned it back on and did the following:

Enter password, Apple screen loads...

Get to Hello screen, swipe the 'slide to set up' slider

Enter password again

Get to Update Completed page, click Continue

And boom: Return to the 'slide to upgrade' slider... It's unresponsive

Apple won't chat or accept a call unless we pay $29. Umm......

Sep 18, 2015 12:54 PM in response to anypats

Thank you @anypats, unfortunately I'm still out of luck. That solution seems to assume the user has connected their iPad to iTunes. I never have, it's just a standalone device.

In this case, when I connect the iPad to the MacBook and launch iTunes, there's an alert "To allow access, please respond on your iPad..."

Go through the steps above:

-Swipe 'slide to setup'

-Enter password

-Watch update complete installation

-Get to 'Hello' screen

-Enter password again

-Get to 'Update Completed' page

At this point, there's an iTunes popup "Trust This Computer?" The only option that allows you to continue is "Trust" -- select that

Press Continue on the 'Update Completed' page

Result: The "slide to upgrade" swipe on iPad 2 is unresponsive, and the "To allow access, please respond on your iPad..." popup remains up on the MacBook.

Hard to believe Apple did not anticipate this test case!! So, what, I have a paperweight now?

Oct 9, 2015 7:30 PM in response to Gawdzilla

I found that you have to continue to hold down the Home and Power buttons until the iTunes logo appears. So here are the steps:

1. With iTunes up, and your iPhone or iPad connected to your computer, hold the power and Home buttons down simultaneously. You will see the screen go black, then start to reboot, with the Apple logo displayed. KEEP HOLDING DOWN THE TWO BUTTONS! If you don't, it will just go back to the same problem.

2. After the Apple logo, an iTunes logo will appear (in an image along with a USB connecter showing being plugged into it). NOW YOU CAN LET GO OF THE BUTTONS!

3. From here you should be good to go. My mistake, the first several times I tried, was that I let go of the buttons as soon as I saw the Apple logo.

stuck on slide to upgrade

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.