Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 9 mail app crashing

upgrade to ios 9. After upgrade open the mail app and when I open certain mails, the app crashes.

iPad 2, iOS 5, apple TV2 with lateste software.

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 1:48 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 25, 2015 7:52 AM

after I did my iOS 9 update my mail app was sluggish and after a few days it just crashed. Now I can't even get it to open all the way And if it does, as soon as I tap on one email it crashes. I spent about 25 minutes with apple support on the phone trying out a few things. Basically delete all your email accounts from the app, turn the phone off. With the phone off, hold the home bottom for five consecutive seconds and let it go, then hold it down again for another 10 seconds. Then turn the phone back on and add one of your email accounts. For me it was very difficult since I have 6 different emails I have to manage for work so in my case is beyond frustrating.

After doing this, it actually worked! But only for a few days. Now I just have the same crashing issues. iOS 9.01 or whatever came out today Did not fix this issue. I'm a loyal apple consumer and can put up with a few of their requirements and issues but after this issue with their own mail app I think it might be time to upgrade to iPhone 6 (currently iphone5). Maybe that was they designed plan.......who knows. im just disappointed right now.

21 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 25, 2015 7:52 AM in response to RonnyB

after I did my iOS 9 update my mail app was sluggish and after a few days it just crashed. Now I can't even get it to open all the way And if it does, as soon as I tap on one email it crashes. I spent about 25 minutes with apple support on the phone trying out a few things. Basically delete all your email accounts from the app, turn the phone off. With the phone off, hold the home bottom for five consecutive seconds and let it go, then hold it down again for another 10 seconds. Then turn the phone back on and add one of your email accounts. For me it was very difficult since I have 6 different emails I have to manage for work so in my case is beyond frustrating.

After doing this, it actually worked! But only for a few days. Now I just have the same crashing issues. iOS 9.01 or whatever came out today Did not fix this issue. I'm a loyal apple consumer and can put up with a few of their requirements and issues but after this issue with their own mail app I think it might be time to upgrade to iPhone 6 (currently iphone5). Maybe that was they designed plan.......who knows. im just disappointed right now.

Sep 25, 2015 7:59 AM in response to RonnyB

Hi! The instructions below have helped a number of users to solve various iOS 9 issues. Hope they will help you as well.

Try a reset. This won't delete your data stored on this device.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

If this does not help, restore your device to factory settings using iTunes. Note that this will erase the data from your device.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

As a final step, try the DFU mode:

• Connect your device to your computer using a USB cable.
  • Turn off the device.
  • Press and hold the Power button for 3 seconds
  • Press the Home button while holding the Power button and hold both for 10 seconds.
  • Release the Power button, but KEEP HOLDING the Home button.
  • After about 15 seconds, iTunes will tell you it has detected a device in Recovery Mode.
  • Restore your device

More info here: https://www.theiphonewiki.com/wiki/DFU_Mode

Oct 5, 2015 9:17 PM in response to RonnyB

I started having the same problem with my email crashing after the ios 9.0.2 update. I didn't want to reset all my email accounts because it is such a pain. After three days of hoping it would work out and doing the hard restart without any results I decided to tinker with the mail settings. I turned the message preview off and now my mail app has been working normally for 24 hours. Has anyone else tried this? If so does it work for you?

Oct 6, 2015 11:56 PM in response to RonnyB

I upgraded my iPad (3rd Gen) to iOS 9.02 last night. Since then I can't run the native Mail app. It launches with two blank panes, hangs for approx. 10 seconds, then crashes out.

I have tried 2 of the fixes listed on this thread (turning off mail preview and reset all under General Settings), neither work. I don't want to wipe the whole iPad - too much app data that I don't want to lose.

I have come across a couple of articles which mention downgrading to iOS 9.01 but cannot find details, is this an option without wiping the iPad content?

Mail is a major use for my iPad. Has the upgrade forced obsolescence?

Any further advice greatly appreciated.

Oct 29, 2015 1:25 PM in response to RonnyB

Same here, it started with iOS 9.0 and a brand new iPad mini 3 I had just gotten the day before 9 came out. Then it started happening, I thought maybe the iPad mini 3 just didn't have enough processor power or something, I habe 13 or 14 emails but it's never been an issue.

SO I reset the whole thing and re installed everything, by hand, not from restore, it worked for a day then happened again, basically every night it was happening. And every night I did a full restore. A week later the IPad Mini 4 came out, this is STILL an issue with my mini 4 and iOS 9.1 it's been good for a long while but just started up again today.

With something so seriously broken you would think apple would fix this ASAP... im tired of restoring or having to hand install all my apps from scratch...

it seems to happen when I try to view all messages, but then you get stuck in a loop.

Jan 5, 2016 2:30 AM in response to RonnyB

The steps that worked for me:

1. Reset all settings (under Settings/General/Reset)

2. iPhone/iPad will go through restart process

***DO NOT CONNECT TO WIFI**

3. Open Mail App

***DO NOT CONNECT TO WIFI**

4. Navigate to the Outbox and delete any emails waiting to be sent (in my case an email with a relatively large PDF attachment)

5. Now connect to WIFI and test email.

6. Re-configure settings.

Of course, it would be good customer service for Apple to actually acknowledge that there is a bug with large attachments with their mail app!!

Ios 9 mail app crashing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.