Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Where is the On-The-Go station in Podcasts app in iOS9?

The new feeds in the iOS 9 Podcasts app have destroyed the way I organize and listen to my podcasts. Where is the On-The-Go station? How can I sort Unplayed from oldest-to-newest rather than always seeing the newest episodes first? Where can I see a feed of everything that's been downloaded to my phone? The "Up Next" list doesn't indicate which podcasts are downloaded, and I can't find a way to get to it other than through the "Now Playing" screen. Very frustrated.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 1:29 PM

43 replies

Sep 17, 2015 9:52 AM in response to junoschaser

Everything is the worst.

There isnt a playlist you can add things to by episode rather than the whole **** podcast. And if you add the whole **** podcast and remove some episodes from the playlist so you just have the ones you want to listen to right now, you cant add them back, it seems, ever.

The ability to add things to playlists seems like a really basic function for anything that involves listening to tracks? Ahhh so frustrating!

Sep 17, 2015 2:04 PM in response to yaikolar

I agree - Epic Fail

I was finally able to use the Podcasts app and liked the On-The-Go feature to create playlists and was relying on the Podcast App 100% instead of having to sync on my pc with iTunes. The "Up Next" feature is supposed to replace that, is all that I can infer. However I don't want it to mix unplayed, played and up next into one unwieldy list - I want to set the order of how these play, and maybe even go back to play the list over. Up Next removes a podcast from the list after being played, and doesn't let you put it back. It won't let you reorder anything, just the Up Next items. Getting to the Up Next list is arcane. Totally unusable.

Sep 20, 2015 6:04 PM in response to junoschaser

i can't believe they did this. I use to use Downcast because the Apple Podcast app did not have a decent playlist that you could edit. Once my station was added it was great. Easy to reorder your podcasts on the go. Why on earth did they think they needed to take this away. Put it back as soon as possible or I guess I am going to have to go back to an alternative. What a waste. You had it right and then just threw it away.

Sep 20, 2015 10:01 PM in response to helenafromharleysville

I suppose it's probably Apple's intention to make the app more discoverable and bring podcasts to late users, but for the heavy power users of podcasts they're being screwed. And thus will be looking at either Overcast or Pocket Casts to again have what should be a standard method of creating customizable playlists by simply and intuitively adding separate podcasts.

Sep 21, 2015 5:46 AM in response to junoschaser

For this update they removed the "On-the-Go" playlist and replaced it with the "Up Next" feature so that it's handled in the same way as music. In order to create an "On-the-Go" playlist (really just "Up Next") tap the three dots next to the podcast episode you want to add, tap "add to Up Next". When an episode is playing, tap the section at the bottom of the screen with the episode name. From there you can tap the icon with three lines on the right hand side (near the play button) in order to view your "Up Next" playlist. You can rearrange the order and delete as you'd like.

Unfortunately, this doesn't resolve the problem of being able to create a playlist that you can selectively sync so as not to overload your phone's capacity. But for now, I hopefully this workaround is semi-helpful and they'll remedy this in the next update.

Sep 21, 2015 5:04 PM in response to junoschaser

I agree with everyone else on this thread. As a heavy podcast listener with a long commute I downloaded episodes I wanted to listen to over WiFi to avoid going over my cellular data cap. Now that the list has been destroyed, I don't have one convenient list where I can view all podcasts I've downloaded and instead I'm forced to go into every individual show and delete the episodes I've already listened to. Major headache that I hope is resolved fast.

Sep 22, 2015 7:38 AM in response to junoschaser

I agree. I just want to play my podcasts from oldest download to newest. There was the "My Stations" feature that allowed this and I could just listen to different podcasts one after the other all day. Now I'm going to have to interrupt my day to go in at the end of each podcast and tell it which one I want to play.

This is stupid and counter intuitive.

Sep 22, 2015 4:52 PM in response to junoschaser

I'm beside myself. First they destroy the ability to manage and sync a playlist from iTunes when Apple Music in the cloud is turned on, now this. So, I get used to the tediously slow and laborious On The Go station to listen to my playlist in the order I want and now its gone? Why? Are they actually trying to kill podcasting? The ability to manage podcasts has declined rather than progressed. How do I create a playlist that will play what I want, in the order I want and not require me to constantly fiddle with the app? ...I'm talking playlists for workouts, commutes and uninterrupted listening!

Sep 22, 2015 6:10 PM in response to Kevin Dobson

And then on top of it they have one area for the "unplayed list", another for "add station", and then the "up next list". Three similar utilities all slightly different in slightly hidden areas. It's messy and confusing. Make ONE list where the "unplayed list" resides in an easily accesible area. Then allow all functionality of the combined lists within that with options to manually populate your list via selecting individual podcast shows or by selecting parameters to populate. DONE.

Sep 25, 2015 8:50 AM in response to junoschaser

I agree with the previous comments. The new version of the podcast app removes the best features of the previous version. Making these changes shows a complete lack of understanding of how people were using the previous version and what we would have wanted to keep from there in any new version. Does Apple listen to any of its users?

Where is the On-The-Go station in Podcasts app in iOS9?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.