Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

unable to get split screen on iPad Air 2 and iOS 9

I Can get the slide view, but not the split screen. how can I get it? I thought it was available on the iPad Air 2.

iPad Air, iOS 8.1.1

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 4:15 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 5:01 PM

Not all Apps support split screen.

What app are you trying this in?

To test use, Safari, and Mail, or Calendar and ICloud Driv etc..

37 replies

Sep 17, 2015 4:38 PM in response to robertfromdumfries

I have safari and Mail open and nothing happens when I try sliding from the right to bring up the other app. Only way to get 2nd app is to double click and then only one app fills screen at a time when I select one. This doesn't seem to be the way it should work. I know I can't do full split screen with my iPad mini, but I thought I should have slide over.

Sep 17, 2015 8:09 PM in response to JoA59

JoA59 wrote:

I know I can't do full split screen with my iPad mini, but I thought I should have slide over.

Nope, not on an iPad Mini First gen:

Picture in Picture and Slide Over are available on iPad Pro, iPad Air or later, and iPad mini 2 or later. Split View is available on iPad Pro, iPad Air 2, and iPad mini 4.

http://www.apple.com/ios/whats-new/

For an iPad Air 2 the main open app needs to be a supported App Split View. for instance Youtube doesn't let you increase the size of the say the Calendar App.

But if you open Mail as the main App, and then slide over Calendar it works, and you can drag for split view.

Sep 19, 2015 9:26 AM in response to robertfromdumfries

I am able to successfully launch and use Split Screen on my iPad Air 2, but it will not allow 50/50 screen view (even though the User Guide says its supposed to). This is true using any of the native iOS apps, such as Safari; Notes; Calendar; Contacts, etc. I have tried putting each of the native apps on both sides of the screen to no avail. When I drag the app divider "knob" to the left and then release, per the instructions in the new iOS 9 User Guide, it always bounces back to the right leaving the left screen at 2/3 and the right screen using the remaining 1/3 of the real estate. I tried holding the app divider at the 50/50 mark for a few seconds to see if it was a timing issue, but no luck. Is anyone else able to successfully get the Split Screen feature to go 50/50? If so, what is your technique?

Sep 19, 2015 11:17 AM in response to SWB_Apple

I Had trouble as stated in the first post. But Phil0124 gave the solution, at least for me. Not all apps support it. I've been able to use split screen with native appLe apps, notaboy iCloud Drive, safari, contacts, mail and maps, plus a few others like 1Password, which has been updated to work. Have not tried pages, numbers or other iWork's apps yet.

unable to get split screen on iPad Air 2 and iOS 9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.