Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

IOS 9 FaceTime Bug

Hi everyone!

I've been running IOS 9 since it came out today, as well as all the Public Betas.

When i was beta testing it, there was a very annoying FaceTime bug on my iPad 4. Whenever I made a FaceTime Call, I was told that the quality was very choppy, i constantly showed 'poor connection', and my face was covered in pixelated lines.

I was very happy when i installed the final version of IOS 9. I thought that the bug would go away, but it didnt. I FaceTime called by boyfriend, and he says that its very choppy, and the pixelated lines are still present all over the camera. I had to go back to IOS 8.4.1 on my iPad, because that is the main feature i use on my device. I also have an iPhone, and there's no such problem with facetime. I think it's a 4th gen iPad related issue.

Anything i could do? Thanks!

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 7:41 PM

62 replies

Sep 19, 2015 1:47 AM in response to voros

Ha! I have the same problem on an iPad 4th gen. Upgrades from IOS 8 to 9 yesterday - FaceTime now all pixellated and jumpy and blocky. Have you managed to find a solution? I haven't. I've tried Reset Network Settings, and reducing video from 1080p to 720p, but no different. My iPad Air upgraded fine, and my iPad works fine with Skype video, so it's something Apple have done to the video/Facetime software in 9. Humph!

Sep 19, 2015 9:09 AM in response to voros

I have gone over to Skype too. And posted a warning on Facebook and Twitter. Apple, if you're listening, please fix this! It looks like you've done something to the FaceTime video software as the hardware is working fine for Skype. It also works on the iPad Air, so it's a failure in backward compatibility with pre Air versions of the iPad. Tut tut, poor testing!!

Sep 22, 2015 2:59 PM in response to voros

I can confirm the same thing is happening for me. I can view other peoples video fine, but they report that after a short while they start to see a poor connection message on their end. If I switch camera from front to back, then it restarts the video for a short while, but then fails again.

I am on the Air2 (MGLW2X/A) but has also been reported when using my iPhone6.

I first noticed this problem in the Beta version, but hoped it had been fixed in final release.

Sep 24, 2015 5:11 PM in response to majones_2000

My parents are not from computer background. All they know is how to call me on the FaceTime to chat with me & my kids. That's the only reason I bought the iPad for them and somehow they are not able to watch us due to poor connection BUG.

I too confirm the same BUG. I can view other people’s video fine, but they report that after a short while (1- 2 min) they start to see a poor connection message on their end. If I switch camera from front to back, then it restarts the video for a short while, but then fails again.

Can some one please fix this bug….

Sep 25, 2015 10:15 AM in response to voros

I have the same FaceTime problem, after upgrading my iPad 4 to iOS 9. The easy to use iPad within the FaceTime app was the only reason I bought an iPad to my parents, which are not in to computer.

Will Apple fix this FaceTime bug?

Where can I report this problem?

Are there some iPad 4th gen. and iPad Mini users encountered the same FaceTime bug after upgrading to iOS 9?

Is downgrading my iPad to iOS 8.4.1 the only solution for now?

Will the iPad 4 and IPad Mini 1 stuck to iOS 8.4.1?

As I'm experiencing, upgrading a new iOS is very risky! Upgrading and downgrading a big waste of time! This is not a professional attitude for a company such Apple is, releasing an OS for newer and older devices.

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi + cellular, iOS 9 and iPad Mini (first gen) Wi-Fi + cellular, iOS 9

IOS 9 FaceTime Bug

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.