Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 updated apps won't copy to iTunes

After updating an iPhone 6 to iOS 9.0, when doing an automatic sync or manual backup to iTunes 12.3.0.44, any apps that have been updated on the iPhone do not get copied (backed up) to iTunes anymore. If the app has been updated on iTunes but not the iPhone, then iTunes will correctly update the iPhone -- just not the other way around.

Similarly, using iTunes File -> Devices -> Transfer Purchases no longer works with any device that's been updated to iOS 9.0.

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 6:28 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 4:27 AM

I can confirm this as well. I have an iPhone 6 and iPad Air 2, both updated to iOS 9 and now neither will transfer updated apps to iTunes on my MacBook Pro.

50 replies

Sep 17, 2015 3:14 PM in response to Ferris 1972

Same here, I have an iPhone, an iPod Touch, an iPad Mini and an iPad Air and I cannot afford the data usage of updating all these apps for each individual item as well as for my iTunes library.

Since last night, with the OS update for each of the above and all the apps, I've gone through around 13 GB of data which is about as much as I use in a fortnight. My service provider will be throttling my usage if this continues.

Normally I download on the computer or the device, and then synchronise to all devices. Ipod Air currently has 27 apps waiting to be updated but iTunes synch (via cable) hangs. I can only think that I will have to remove the apps from the iPad and re-add them from the PC but how tedious that a company such as Apple has done something that is now making all their users incur high data usage and actually a huge amount of time when an OS update means almost every app you have requires updating.

I'm a PC user, on this thread through a google search rather than searching the support section.

Sep 17, 2015 4:13 PM in response to Denise Woodcock

I found a work round for getting apps from PC to device (well, it worked for me and hope it works for you). Note that I manually manage my devices which may make a difference to how this works.

All apps on my PC are up to date, but not on my iPads or iPod Touch. I've only tested on one iPad and won't do the others until the morning but try this.

On the device I went into Settings/General/Storage & icloud usage) and then into Manage Storage in the first section on the screen.

I then deleted all the apps that needed updating.

Connected device to PC, started a synch and all the deleted apps were then put back on the device in their updated format. (I had expected to have to select the apps to be installed as usually when we delete an app from a device we really do not want it on there any more).

Sep 18, 2015 3:40 AM in response to Bigtzn

I had a small ray of hope this morning when my PC told me there was a new version of iTunes (12.3 - I did check last night as I had 12.2.2.25 but was told that was the latest!) but no, I had updated some apps on my iPhone and they have not transferred to my PC (tried transferring purchases but that just re-transferred items I had already moved to my PC when I bought them).

I've asked friends on Facebook if they are suffering the same, so far only two responses - one Mac user, one Windows neither of them with problems so it's not a general problem.

So just in case this info is of help

I use manually manage for my devices

I have windows 8.1 which is full up to date with all windows updates

My Apple devices are all on OS9

I do not use the Apple Cloud other than to re-download things I no longer have on my computer (which is rare as anything not on there is on a back up hard drive).

I sync via PC, i.e. connect a lightning cable - I don't use wi fi synch. (Will test out wi fi synch this evening when I have time to do so in case that does work but if anyone on here uses that already let me know so I don't waste time).

Once I have the time to do it, and if no other solution appears, I may turn on Cloud and see if that makes a difference.

Edit - note this is not just an iPhone problem, it's all my devices and there's at least one other post in the iTunes for Windows thread and again when I have time I'll see if there are any more with this problem).

Sep 18, 2015 8:09 AM in response to Paul Malone

iOS 9 enabled App Thinning

https://developer.apple.com/library/prerelease/watchos/documentation/IDEs/Concep tual/AppDistributionGuide/AppThinning/AppThinning.html

This means your phone will not have a complete version of an app, only the variant used by that particular model of phone. Different variants support different screen sizes and 32 vs. 64 bit processors. Using variants saves space on the phone. iTunes stores complete apps, so it is not possible to update the iTunes copy of an app from the variant on the phone. You now have to use the computer to update apps stored in iTunes. If they are updated on the computer, the phone's versions will get updated on the next sync, but it will not work the other way.

Sep 18, 2015 4:57 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

That is really good information to know. I knew that sometimes different versions of apps were downloaded for different devices sometimes, but never thought of it like that. Was this newly implimented? Out of the 23 apps that updated on my two iDevices, all of them have recently updated on said devices previously and then transferred to iTunes without issues. This became an issue after iOS 9 and iTunes 12.3 were both released and none of the 23 apps would transfer. Coincidence, variant, or actual issue.... still hard to tell. Hopefully we will have an answer or solution from Apple soon.

Sep 18, 2015 5:25 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

Thanks for the explanation, and yes, I noticed apps I downloaded on the phone were usually smaller than the apps once replaced on computer.

I had a mixture of updates on my PC, some I updated using the PC so presumably 'one size fits all' and they should transfer to all devices regardless of build.

Some I had used my iPhone 6+ to update while it still had OS8 on it, but did not sync to computer until after I had updated the phone to OS9 and they transferred okay, it's just the ones I updated after OS9 went on to the phone that do not sync to PC.

I am currently synching my iPad Air for the first time since I updated it, 27 apps and all are updating okay so I presume that the iPhone 6+ and iPad Air2 use the same app profile, whereas the iPod Touch and iPad Mini do not, hence the apps I had synched from the iPhone to PC would not transfer?????

So looks like we have no option but to download updates on computer and then sync, which means I can no longer use the data allowance on my phone to update my apps as they won't transfer any more, so I don't need as much of a data allowance as that was my main usage of it, but I need to talk to my broadband provider about not throttling me at times such as now when all my Apple stuff needs updating and I have to do it on PC. All day yesterday my broadband speed was particularly low after the amount of extra updates I had to do and a 20 mb app was taking over half an hour to download which is ridiculous considering just how many apps were updating.

Sep 18, 2015 7:20 AM in response to Malcolm J. Rayfield

I've just read he article suggested by Malcolm about app trimming. and although I understand the rationale behind it, I can't accept the fact that from now on, my iPhone (or my iPad 2 for that matter) will never be thoroughly "backup-able", since all the App Store apps downloaded directly on them will be "snobbishly" ignored by iTunes whenever I sync my devices.

Either this is a bug, an omission, or an unfortunate misconception from the programmers.

Unless, of course, that what will indeed be backed up will be a mere shopping list.

Then, in the event of a recovery, all the trimned-down apps will have to be re-downloaded from Apple's servers.

And there goes my bandwidth !

I'm sure Denise would sympathise with me ...

iOS 9 updated apps won't copy to iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.