Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Updated my iPhone to iOS v9, now can't use it with my iTunes

Hi,

I think I'm stuck! Deets...

iPhone 6, newly updated to iOS v9

iMac 5,1, about 8 years old, OS X v10.6.8

Error message: "The iPhone “Rob's iPhone” cannot be used because it requires a newer version of iTunes. Go to www.itunes.com to download the latest version of iTunes."

The iTunes page says the latest version requires OS X v10.7.5, so I can't install that one. And when I check for updates in iTunes, it says there are none. Software Update on the iMac says ther are no updates. (Not surprisingly.) My iMac can run 10.7.5, but that OS doesn't support Rosatta, which I still use for some older software I can't afford to upgrade.

Did I just get made redundant? No more backups for my iPhone?

Rob

iMac (20-inch Late 2006), Mac OS X (10.6.8), Mac user since August, 1985

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 6:20 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 7:14 PM

Same problem here on my Mac Pro.

73 replies

Sep 16, 2015 9:41 PM in response to Rob Stevenson

The news doesn't get any better. Yes iTunes says that version 12,3 requires OS X 10.7.5 or later. But when you download and try to install it, it says you need 10.8.5 or later.

So Apple hasn't updated their download page yet.

That means I'll have to skip iOS 9 on my iPhone. I'm not buying a new computer just to have iOS 9 on my iPhone.

I Need the ability to sync my contacts and address book with my Mac when I plug the phone into it.

I Have zero interest in buying a new computer when the only thing mine won't do is sync with iOS 9.

THis is probably the end of the line for me with Apple sadly.

I've been through a lot of years of these revisions that break compatibility. I'll probably go Android and Windows next round. All my old PC's are still supported by the latest Windows versions. And here I am unable to update my phone just because Apple artificially disabled newer OS X versions from installing on my Mac.

Sep 17, 2015 6:23 AM in response to James Mol

Just saw this article at OSX Daily...

http://osxdaily.com/2015/09/16/downgrade-ios-9-back-to-ios-8-4-1/

I don't think I'll bother doing that though. I can back up my iPhone to a portable Mac I no longer use, but which can be upgraded to 10.8.5, at least, maybe higher. Seems a silly thing to have to do, but it'll do for now. I expect next year I'll be getting a new iMac anyway.

Sep 21, 2015 10:08 AM in response to Rob Stevenson

I was having the same problem with my iPhone 5S, but all seems to be solved now. When I originally downloaded iOS9 I did it via iTunes.

I restored my phone to iOS8 http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinsta ll-ios-8-3522302/ and downloaded iOS9 via the phone. No problems now connecting to iTunes.

I hadn't updated my iPad 2 yet, after having the problem with the iPhone. So once all was well with the iPhone update, I went ahead and updated the iPad without any problems. There again, downloading the update via the iPad.

Sep 23, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Rob Stevenson

Same problem here, running OS X v10.6.8. *Why* couldn't Apple warn us that iOS 9 will break the sync between our devices and our Macs???

I have kept OS X v10.6.8 running because it is 100% stable with my various non-latest graphics apps - if it ain't broke, don't fix it! But now I am downloading OS X v10.10.5 having read all the bad reviews, just knowing that this is going to cause me a load of pain and time wasted.

I have a love-hate relationship with Apple, and right now it's in the 'hate' phase 😟

<Edited by host>

Sep 25, 2015 3:46 PM in response to Rob Stevenson

Similar problem...

On Mountain Lion (10.8.5), and iTunes 11.4. Updated iPhone 6 to 9.0 using over-the-air (OTA) update. All fine, updated to 9.0.1, all fine.

Did the same with my 1st gen iPad mini, 9.0 went fine. 9.0.1 also went fine, but now will not connect to iTunes 11.4. Why does iTunes care about different devices? Is this a bug in iOS 9? In fact, if I were to consider this logically, I'd expect the iPhone 6 to require the newer iTunes as it has newer hardware and capabilities.

I put the iPad into Recovery mode, and Apple has apparently *already* stopped signing iOS 8. So, I'm stuck with a factory-fresh, un-restorable iPad. If Apple's only answer is to upgrade to the worst piece of software they've EVER made, I'll politely (maybe not so politely) decline.

Sep 27, 2015 9:27 PM in response to Timbrely Pearsley

You probably meant 8.4.1, as Apple stopped signing 8.4 on the 23rd. Luckily, this worked for me, as well. Downgrade in Recovery Mode to 8.4.1 (see difference between DFU and Recovery Mode: http://forums.macrumors.com/threads/dfu-mode-vs-recovery-mode.1864320/), restore from—I'm ashamed to admit—an old backup, upgrade directly to 9.0.1. In my case, I updated 1st from the iPhone directly (OTA update). The 2nd time, I waited for the long download via iTunes and it worked. There doesn't seem to be a consistency here, except, possibly, it's happening to people who updated to 9.0, then to 9.0.1.

I pride myself on doing things the "right way," as Apple describes, and keeping my gear in prime condition, but I've had many problems lately. I've begun to think it was just me, but now I'm starting to recognize that it's simply shoddy testing, and constant racing to update to yet-another-broken-software-upgrade.

The old days of "It just works" are gone.

Sep 28, 2015 6:05 AM in response to Rob Stevenson

I've got the same problem. I'm using Windows 8.1. Updating to ios 9 means itunes will no longer recognise the phone. I get the message saying the phone can’t be used because it requires a newer version of itunes and to go to itunes.com to download the latest version. If I do 'check updates' from within itunes, it says I have the latest version 12.2. I’m worried if I download and install a new version of itunes on my computer that it will wipe all my current playlists and downloads etc. So frustrating.

Updated my iPhone to iOS v9, now can't use it with my iTunes

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.