Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone 6 won't sync with iTunes 12.3

Hi here,

I updated to iTunes 12.3 today and now my iPhone 6 (which was updated to iOS 9 just today) won't sync with iTunes. I have the phone plugged in, it asks every time I plug it in if I want to allow my computer to access the phone (which I do allow), and the battery emblem in the top-right turns green (indicating that it's synced). That all said, when I open iTunes, the iPhone icon to the right of the others in the top-left corner does not show up, and my most recently added music does not get carried over to my phone, so I know it's not syncing. (I'm also running Windows 10.)

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling iTunes, as well as rebooting my computer and my iPhone. I also checked to see that Apple Device Support is running automatically, not manually, and that it's not damaged or anything. None of that worked, though.

Does anyone else have a suggestion?

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 8:10 PM

66 replies

Sep 16, 2015 11:40 PM in response to JohnHawk

I ended up solving my own problem with the following method:

On Windows 10, I went to the Device Manager and located the "portable devices" section. Opening that, I found "Apple iPhone" and uninstalled it (while my iPhone was disconnected from the computer). I then plugged the iPhone back into the computer, and it immediately showed up in iTunes.

In my case, I suppose the driver wasn't updated with iOS and iTunes, so there was an inconsistency of some sort. But allowing the computer to uninstall the iPhone driver and then receive the device as a sort of foreign device to relearn solved the issue.

I hope this solves your issue, too, JohnHawk.

Sep 17, 2015 2:18 AM in response to Lewis_Green

None of the above helped me, but did manage to fix it in the end. Turns out that the Apple Mobile Device USB Driver was uninstalled after updating my iTunes to 12.3

These detailed instructions via Apple had the fix for me: iPhone, iPad, or iPod not recognized in iTunes for Windows - Apple Support

These are the exact steps that I used and that worked for me:

Windows Vista, Windows 7, or Windows 8, Windows 10

1. Right-click the Apple iPhone, Apple iPad, or Apple iPod entry in Device Manager and choose Update Driver from the shortcut menu.
  2. Click "Browse my computer for driver software".
  3. Click "Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer".
  4. Click the Have Disk button. (If the Have Disk option is not present, choose a device category such as Mobile Phone or Storage Device if listed, and click next. The Have Disk button should then appear.)
  5. In the "Install from Disk" dialog, click the Browse button.
  6. Use this window to navigate to the following folder:
    C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers.
  7. Double-click the "usbaapl" file. (This file will be called "usbaapl64" if you have a 64-bit version of Windows. If you don't see "usbaapl64" here, or if there is no Drivers folder, look in C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers. instead).
  8. Click OK in the "Install from Disk" dialog.
  9. Click Next and finish the driver-installation steps. Open iTunes to verify that the device is recognized properly.
    BOOM. iTunes opened immediately after clicking next in the last step for me. I just had to trust the computer again on my iPhone.

Sep 18, 2015 3:11 AM in response to Eonva

Quick note, for me, I didn't have the "Have Disk".

I simply pasted the drive location C:\Program Files\Common Files\Apple\Mobile Device Support\Drivers

Pressed enter, and my computer (Dell Windows 10 64-Bit) automatically found the driver and installed it. My iTunes was already open at the time, and so the iPad (the device I had trouble connecting) was instantly recognized.

Just a tip for anyone stuck on step 4 & 5 (because the "Have Disk" wasn't visible).

For me, doing this also bypassed stages 7, 8 & 9.

Anthony.

Sep 19, 2015 6:13 AM in response to Eonva

This worked and was easy to do. Once you navigate for an iPhone as instructed it was easier for my ipad after that and that also worked. Before loading the drivers manually, neither would automatically open iTunes when connected to the PC running Windows 10 and after this, all is well. I have never had the drivers not update with any other update in the past. Thanks for posting this.

iPhone 6 won't sync with iTunes 12.3

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.