Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Sketch/Draw mode is missing from new NOTES app (iPad 3rd generation - iOS9)...What's wrong?

I upgraded my iPad 3rd generation to iOS9, and tried to use the sketch/draw mode, but all my efforts to find this feature within the app were to no avail....what's wrong? anybody else experiencing this issue?

iPad, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 9:11 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 9:31 PM

I believe you can only draw notes and use the extra features (bulleted lists, etc) on notes that exist in the "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" folder within the Notes app (I could be mistaken but this is how I'm seeing it). To access and use notes "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad":

1. Open the Notes app

2. At the top of the screen, tap the back arrow

3. Find "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" in the list

4. Tap on "Notes" under the "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" heading

5. Tap on the new note icon at the bottom-right (iPhone) or top-right (iPad)

You can now tap the round + button which will reveal the additional features (iPhone)

Or tap on the new features just above the keyboard on the right side (iPad)

I don't know if the new features can be added to old notes that already exist on the device unless you move those notes to the "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" notes folder. I also did NOT update whatever the Notes app was wanting to update when it was first opened immediately after the iOS 9 update (I now forget what that even was).

72 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 16, 2015 9:31 PM in response to Chenbmac

I believe you can only draw notes and use the extra features (bulleted lists, etc) on notes that exist in the "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" folder within the Notes app (I could be mistaken but this is how I'm seeing it). To access and use notes "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad":

1. Open the Notes app

2. At the top of the screen, tap the back arrow

3. Find "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" in the list

4. Tap on "Notes" under the "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" heading

5. Tap on the new note icon at the bottom-right (iPhone) or top-right (iPad)

You can now tap the round + button which will reveal the additional features (iPhone)

Or tap on the new features just above the keyboard on the right side (iPad)

I don't know if the new features can be added to old notes that already exist on the device unless you move those notes to the "On my iPhone" / "On my iPad" notes folder. I also did NOT update whatever the Notes app was wanting to update when it was first opened immediately after the iOS 9 update (I now forget what that even was).

Sep 16, 2015 10:18 PM in response to Chenbmac

I don't know what the notes upgrade was.

It works for me here on all my devices. Are you SURE you are creating a new note in the Notes folder under the On My iPhone / On My iPad folder? Like I mentioned above, this is the only folder it seems to work under. If you choose your "All iCloud" folder, it does not work (at least on my end).

Sketch/Draw mode is missing from new NOTES app (iPad 3rd generation - iOS9)...What's wrong?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.