Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Siri female voice (English-US) not working

I have an iPhone 6. I was running the latest version of iOS 8.4.1 and one day realized my apple maps app was not giving me voice directions (in Siri's voice). I checked volume, made sure silent switch was off, made sure maps "voice volume" was on etc. Speakers work fine with ringtones, playing music, etc. At the time when I would use Siri she would respond to my questions with normal voice so I figured it wasnt related to Siri. I did hard reset, turned Siri on and off anyways, nothing fixed it to give voice directions in maps app. Today I downloaded iOS 9. I checked again to see if this would fix the glitch, and still no voice over for maps app navigation. Then I go to use Siri and this time she responds to questions via text on screen but no audio output. I did hard reset, turned Siri off, restarted phone, turned Siri back on, nothing worked. I go into Siri settings and start changing the language and realize that the female voice in all other languages works fine with maps app directions and with Siri responding to questions. I go back to Siri-English (US) female voice setting and no audio output from her. I switch to English (US) male version and he works fine with maps voice navigation and when responding to questions. So for now I'm using the male version since this works, but has anyone else had this issue of the English female Siri voice not working?

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 10:09 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 21, 2015 3:27 PM

I am having this same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus after doing the iOS 9 update. The American male and female voices give no audio feedback just text on the screen. I have tried restarting the phone and toggling the Siri on/off switch and still only the Australian and British voices work fine. Any help with this would be appreciated! Two calls to Apple customer care we're not very productive they said that this has not been a reported problem to them yet. Only advice they gave me is to back up and restore the phone which admittedly I have not done yet. Any less extreme advice would be great 🙂

9 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 21, 2015 3:27 PM in response to Lgoonie

I am having this same problem with my iPhone 6 Plus after doing the iOS 9 update. The American male and female voices give no audio feedback just text on the screen. I have tried restarting the phone and toggling the Siri on/off switch and still only the Australian and British voices work fine. Any help with this would be appreciated! Two calls to Apple customer care we're not very productive they said that this has not been a reported problem to them yet. Only advice they gave me is to back up and restore the phone which admittedly I have not done yet. Any less extreme advice would be great 🙂

Sep 27, 2015 2:04 AM in response to Phoenix_dm15

Yeah. Same problem here. US Siri won't give audio feedback. Tried hard restart. Turned Siri off/on. Turned Siri off then restarted then turned back on. Went through setup of "Hey Siri" again... NONE of this crap works. I got the phone two days ago, so not really hip on the whole factory reset right now because that's stupid. Apple- this is an issue, so give us a solution. Turning Siri to a different accent and she speaks great. So I guess until I can get an answer that doesn't blindly tell me to "Restore" my brand new phone, I'll have to rock with British Siri. Lame.

Edit: remember when Apple stuff just worked? I'd gladly sacrifice all this "futuristic" stuff to have cool stuff that worked.

Siri female voice (English-US) not working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.