Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Ios 9 makes Ipad 4 slow

Hi everyone I just wanted my ipad 4 gen to ios 9 and the performance is very sluggish and it was never like this in previous versions of Ios like openning the mulitask is really slow i have no idea what else to do please post to help with this, and I have owned a apple product before so i am not new to apples products

iPad (4th gen) Wi-Fi, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 16, 2015 11:53 PM

7 replies

Sep 16, 2015 11:54 PM in response to jal 12

Hi! Try to reset your device. This won't delete your data stored on this device.

• Press and hold the Sleep/Wake button
  • Press and hold on the Home button
  • Keep holding both buttons until the display turns off and back on with Apple logo on it.

Alternatively, you may go to Settings - General - Reset - Reset All Settings

https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT201559

If this does not help, restore your device to factory settings. Note that this will erase the data from your device.

Take a look this Apple Support article: Use iTunes to restore your iPhone, iPad, or iPod to factory settings - Apple Support.

Sep 17, 2015 1:44 AM in response to jal 12

I Just updated my iPad 4 and I am having zero problems. How many apps do you have installed? How many of them allow background refresh? As a general rule, I never install so many apps that I go above 50% usage of my storage, and I only allow things like news and weather apps to background refresh. When I checked my husbands iPad 3 the othe day after he complained of sluggishness, I saw that almost all his apps had background refresh allowed (standard on install apparently) and he has over 80% of his storage space taken up by installed apps. I know you stated that you had no problems before you upgraded, but our iPad 4 s are OLD now. In order to enjoy the best performance possible with his newer iOS, you may need to start babying your iPad by starting with the suggestions I mentioned above. I hope they help. Oh, and definitely do a complete reset if nothing helps. Sometimes the upgrades just make a big mess and cause problems the first time around (I have had that happen on this iPad before too). A reset after a new iOS installation has always fixed me right up.

Nov 4, 2015 10:59 PM in response to geok2015

Try ALL these suggestions

Try resetting All Settings found in the Settings App under General and in the right column under Reset.

Try resetting histories and deleting/resetting caches in all of the web browsers you use.

If you use Safari, these functions maybe l in the Settings App under Safari.

Other web browsers have their settings inside of the running app, itself.

Try turning on Reduced Motion.

This is found in the Settings App in the General tab the left panel.

In the right panel look under Accessibility, the look for Reduce Motion and turn this feature "On".

You should see an appreciable performance increase on all iPad 2, 3 and 4 models.

In the Settings App under the General Tab, in the right column, look for Background App Refresh and turn this setting to "off".

Try a reset of your iPad by holdings down both the Home and sleep/wake buttons simultaneously until your iPad goes to black and restarts with Apple logo, then release the buttons.

Good Luck!

Ios 9 makes Ipad 4 slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.