Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Music App on iOS 9 - "Showing only music on this iPhone" banner

Can we turn this off / dismiss this banner?

User uploaded file

I know one way - to show all music on the iPhone.

User uploaded fileUser uploaded file

However I don't want that because I've replaced many of my old purchases with Lossless files now, so don't want to mix the two.

I suppose the next best workaround is to show all music on the iPhone and 'hide purchases' I don't wish to see?

It's a shame if we're going to have to live with this banner to have the Music.app behave like an iPod would. I just bought a 128GB 6S.

Apple Music is great but Apple Music and Music.app should be able to stay as separate things, I think.

iPhone 6, iOS 9, 64GB, GSM

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 1:31 AM

13 replies

Sep 17, 2015 6:23 AM in response to njhaley

It would be great if there was a dismiss button. I don't used iCloud or iTunes Match or anything where I want to see downloaded purchases, so this perpetual banner is taking up space.

I also wish there was a way to remove the 'recently added' section on the top; I don't only want to listen to what I've recently added.

These things are bothersome. For now, having upgraded to iOS 9, I'm no longer using the music app to search for music, but instead using the global search feature to find a song I have on my phone. 😟

Sep 23, 2015 2:28 PM in response to peterjh3

A rather inept and annoying plug to get people using music in the cloud. There is a perfectly good option available (if somewhat hidden compared to earlier) to select to show only music on the iPhone/iPod. I have selected that option and that should be enough, but no, I now have this annoying banner telling me about an option I have consciously disabled.

I liked the new music app, but this spoils an excellent piece of work, and is unnecessary. Why spoil a nice UI with a clumsy thing like this that cannot be disabled unless you choose to show music in the cloud. I don't want music in the cloud, I want it on my iPhone and PC thanks.

Oct 14, 2015 10:23 PM in response to serendip

With the recent iPhone updates, my iPhone 5s music app now lists everything I've ever bought in My Music, instead of just the music I have put on the phone. This happens when I get in a WiFi zone. If I restart the phone, My Music goes back to how I want it, but the next time I'm connected to WiFi it will go right back to listing everything. I'm sure this has somehow to do with Apple Music but it's incredibly irritating to have to restart multiple times a day or weed through the hundreds of things I've bought over the years just to get to what I want.

Anyone else experienced this or figured out a solution? I've got everything (I think) set to only show the music uploaded to the phone, but it doesn't seem to solve the problem. Many thanks for any help.

Oct 17, 2015 8:26 PM in response to jcf227

Thank you for asking this question! I am having the same thing happen to me. I also turned off the "wifi sync" and went as far as to delete all the music from my phone, but it KEEPS HAPPENING. It not only shows the music (even with the "only offline music" option selected) but it plays the music! The only way to get it to stop playing all the music is to put it in airplane mode - but all the music still shows up, it only plays the music that has been downloaded.

I haven't found any threads that actually help with this issue - but changing the "wifi sync" and "manually manage music" did not solve the issue.

Jan 5, 2016 12:09 PM in response to njhaley

This banner is really annoying, and it's making me regret having updated to iOS 9 (which hasn't really brought me any improvements that I've noticed). Hey Apple, if I've deliberately chosen to only show music that's on my phone, then that's what I want, and I know how to switch back to showing all music if I change my mind. Since the banner doesn't scroll out of the way, this is taking up valuable screen real estate in the Music app. Apple really seems to be ignoring usability in many of their recent changes.

Jan 9, 2016 2:58 AM in response to njhaley

Go to Music on your iPhone. Click top left and go to sign out. Then just to be sure you need to reset your phone (Hold down home and on/off button until your phone turns off and shows the white Apple logo) Once this is done then you will only see the music you have put onto your phone yourself. The iCloud will not be able to link your music to your account. Done..........simples.

Jan 9, 2016 4:52 AM in response to Nicholasexeter

Unfortunately, that doesn't really address the problem. Yes, you can sign out and then tap on "show all music" to dismiss the banner. But that signs you out of your account completely. The next time you sign into the app store or the iTunes store, all of the cloud stuff (such as music that you've purchased but not put on your phone) shows up again. What we're looking for is a way to just show music that's on the phone (even when signed in) without that annoying banner taking up valuable screen real estate.

May 10, 2016 6:15 AM in response to njhaley

Just chiming in to say that I would love to make both of these banners disappear as well. I don't subscribe to any of apple's "cloud" services, and these just take up screen space.

As a bonus, I recently got around to ripping a bunch of really old CDs that I never got around to ripping back when I had a much smaller ipod and computer hard drive (remember when a 40GB computer hard drive was "big"?) so that I could put them in permanent storage, and now those are what show up in my "recently added" list.

So now I get to be continually reminded of my 90s-era alternative/emo/punk college years.

(Also, am I the only one that is completely baffled by the obsession with cloud-this and streaming-that? It simply does not work as a replacement for someone like me, even if I don't have to worry about data caps. I spend half my music/podcast listening time on the subway, where there is zero reception. I NEED to be able to store things on my device)

Music App on iOS 9 - "Showing only music on this iPhone" banner

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.