Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Is iOS9 compatible with Mac OSX 10.6.8?

Hi,

I read that the latest release of iTunes on El Capitan supports iOS9, that made me worry tha, if I update my iPhone to iOS9 I won't be able to synchronise it to my old MacBook with Mac OSX 10.6.8.

Is that possible, or I can smoothly go on updating my iPhone?

Thanks.

iPhone 5s, iOS 8.1.3

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 1:58 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 2:13 AM

Hi,

i use a Mac with 10.6.3. I updated my iphone 4 to iOS9.

Now my itunes (11.4.) can`t detect my iphone 4!

Now i try to get back to iOS8.

So, don`t do it!

18 replies

Sep 17, 2015 4:21 AM in response to Applehuberius

Well, I did a little further searching, and I found out that I can update my iPhone.

Turns out that iTunes doesn't issue any compatibility warnings, plus other users in my situation did it.

Thanks Applehuberius for reminding me that there still are funny people like you that waste their time tricking people on the internet.

Bye.

Sep 17, 2015 1:35 PM in response to xja85

If you are running OS x 10.6.8, iTunes 11.4 is the latest version. This version will tell you that IOS 9 update is available. If you do an "Erase and Restore", game over as your ipad/iphone will update, but iTunes will not restore ANY info and there is no newer version of iTunes available. I now have an iPad doorstop.

If you just update, it will work and your info should still be there, but you will never be able to backup, restore etc on your Mac.

Bottom line, if you only use OS x 10.6.8, dont bother until Apple make a new version of iTunes. It is rather a poor show on Apple's part, Windows users have more compatibility with Apple hardware than a life long Mac user. Shame on you Apple ( if you read this )

Sep 17, 2015 11:24 PM in response to xja85

ack - this totally bit me too. Now my phone is not recognized. Really not cool.

Machine - Early 2007 OS 10.6.8 (not compatible with any further OS upgrade)

iTunes - 11.4 (new iTunes 12.3 not compatible with 10.6.8, and 11.4 also not capable with new IOS 9.0)

I would downgrade in a second if apple supported it. I did a full backup before the upgrade, but who cares? Now my phone can't even be restored! (I don't use iCloud).

Really ******...

Sep 18, 2015 6:45 AM in response to Pezwell

Me too - I need osx10.6.8 and won't be upgrading until next year. Updated to ios9 on iphone6 through itunes - no warnings, now locked out, mac and phone can't communicate (which was the whole point of getting an iphone). I feel badly let down by Apple, their increasing lack of backward compatibility is becoming a real problem. Been using macs for 20 years, now beginning to have serious doubts.

Sep 19, 2015 12:31 PM in response to xja85

I have a Mac Mini 2009 with Mac Os X.6.8 and Iphone 4s

itunes propose me IOS 8.4.1, I was in IOS 8.4, I think "if I can always do upgrade,also I do it"

But itunes upgrade to IOS 9, and after itunes say "I cannot use iphone with ios 9"

I never ask for IOS 9, never ...

it's a very bad joke, really very bad joke from Apple

Finally how Apple thanks its loyal users :

I can use IOS 9 with Itunes 12 and Windows Seven (from october 2009)

I can use IOS 9 with itunes 12 and Mac OS X.8.5 (from september 2013)

Sep 19, 2015 1:15 PM in response to Manu from Lille

What you need to remember here is that Microsoft and Apple are totally different.

Microsoft do not update their operating systems anything like as frequently as Apple do - there was Windows 7 and then 8 and now we have Windows 10. In that time frame Apple have gone from Snow Leopard to Lion and Mountain Lion and now Yosemite with El Capitain to follow.

Unfortunately, technology moves fast these days, so you do need to keep at least one Mac updated with the latest software, so at least Yosemite now with iTunes 12 or as you have found, you will not be able to use iOS 9.

Remember also, that Apple OS updates are free, so you just download them - as far as I know, Microsoft still charge for theirs!

Sep 21, 2015 10:18 AM in response to brattell

I was having the same problem with my iPhone 5S, but all seems to be solved now. When I originally downloaded iOS9 I did it via iTunes.

I restored my phone to iOS8 http://www.macworld.co.uk/how-to/iosapps/how-downgrade-from-ios-9-to-8-7-reinsta ll-ios-8-3522302/ and downloaded iOS9 via the phone. No problems now connecting to iTunes.

I hadn't updated my iPad 2 yet, after having the problem with the iPhone. So once all was well with the iPhone update, I went ahead and updated the iPad without any problems. There again, downloading the update via the iPad.

Is iOS9 compatible with Mac OSX 10.6.8?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.