Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Newsroom Update

Apple and Google deliver support for unwanted tracking alerts in iOS and Android. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

CarPlay & Volkswagen

I have just bought a volkswagen polo that has CarPlay but no steering wheel control, all controls are on the volkswagen head unit.

Prior to IOS9 release, CarPlay would only work wired with the head unit. Apple announced that CarPlay would work wirelessly with IOS9.

After installing IOS9 today, CarPlay will not work wirelessly and after contacting Apple, they informed me Bluetooth would work wirelessly (which it did before IOS9) and that CarPlay needed steering wheel control.

The instructions on the IOS9 operating system for CarPlay using an iPhone, tell you to push the 'voice' button on the steering wheel. My head unit has a physical 'voice' button, so the question for Apple is why does it not work? Is it an IOS9 software issue, head unit software issue, both head unit and IOS9 or another issue?

I am very annoyed as had I known that I needed steering wheel control, I would have bought a car with the required functionality.

iPhone 6, iOS 9, 2016 Volkswagen Polo CarPlay

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 4:08 AM

7 replies

CarPlay & Volkswagen

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.