Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Can I import a DV tape from a AG-DV2500 panasonic into FCPX at 1080 resolution? What is the highest resolution these tapes can import at in FCPX

I am currently using an iMac with FCP X and a panasonic tape player AG-DV2500. The tape they use is a DV digital magnetic tape. I want to import this into Final Cut Pro but it will only import at 720x480. I can find anyway to change this so I can import at a higher resolution, preferably at 1080? Is this possible? If so, how do I go about doing it? If not, what is the highest resolution I can import from these tapes into FCP X?

Thanks

iMac, OS X Yosemite (10.10.1)

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 5:40 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 5:55 AM

It is possible but you would need to purchase additional hardware, which is not inexpensive. Unless you plan on going a lot of this kind of work, it's probably better to try to scale up the image with software after it's imported and see whether the results are satisfactory. (Red Giant used to offer software specifically for this purpose but I understand it has been discontinued.) Compressor can do a decent job with some material. Or try scaling it in FCP X. If neither approach gives you the results you're looking for consider sending it out to a service for a hardware conversion.

Good luck.

Russ

8 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Sep 17, 2015 5:55 AM in response to davidklecker

It is possible but you would need to purchase additional hardware, which is not inexpensive. Unless you plan on going a lot of this kind of work, it's probably better to try to scale up the image with software after it's imported and see whether the results are satisfactory. (Red Giant used to offer software specifically for this purpose but I understand it has been discontinued.) Compressor can do a decent job with some material. Or try scaling it in FCP X. If neither approach gives you the results you're looking for consider sending it out to a service for a hardware conversion.

Good luck.

Russ

Dec 1, 2015 9:56 PM in response to Mike Sastre

I use the Apple FW800 to Thunderbolt adaptor and get limited to 10-12 KB/s download.

Very slow using the internal P2 card function of HVX-200.

Somehow I remember it being faster on my last computer.

And one of my RAID works with this adaptor on a MBA and iMac 2011 and the other RAID does not.

Very strange - maybe something to do with they way they get power over the FW800 port

and ging thru the adaptor.

Anyway - bring the file in exactly as it is on the tape then up-rez.

Dec 1, 2015 10:01 PM in response to Tom Wolsky

I use the Apple FW800 to Thunderbolt adaptor and get limited to 10-12 KB/s download.

Very slow using the internal P2 card function of HVX-200.

Somehow I remember it being faster on my last computer.

And one of my RAID works with this adaptor on a MBA and iMac 2011 and the other RAID does not.

Very strange - maybe something to do with they way they get power over the FW800 port

and ging thru the adaptor.

Anyway - bring the file in exactly as it is on the tape then up-rez.

Can I import a DV tape from a AG-DV2500 panasonic into FCPX at 1080 resolution? What is the highest resolution these tapes can import at in FCPX

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.