Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

new partition doesn't show in startup disk utility

I wish to migrate my Time Machine backup of my MacBook Pro running Mavericks to my MacPro tower and have a dual boot system, alongside its original operating system, Snow Leopard (10.6.8).

I created the 2nd partition on my MacPro tower by using Disk Utility on the DVD installation disk. I did not erase and partition, overwriting 10.6.8, but instead I divided the current drive into two partitions. But now, when I'm in 10.6.8, the Startup Disk utility cannot see the 2nd partition. What it does see is the DVD running the installation disk, the 10.6.8 partition, and it displays a network icon with a "?" inside. On the MacPro tower's desktop, the 2nd partition is displayed as a folder.

It was my understanding that when I selected the 2nd partition as a startup disk, a reboot would trigger use of Migration Assistant, and that I could then select my Time Machine backup so it would install Mavericks and associated applications. Please help me find my 2nd partition.

Thanks,

MacBook Pro, OS X Mavericks (10.9.4)

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 8:17 AM

5 replies

new partition doesn't show in startup disk utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.