Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Unread mail showing in All Inboxes only with iOS9

Just upgraded to iOS9 this morning and having a weird issue. My Mail app is showing a badge for 1 unread email, though I have none. When I look at all of my mailboxes (I have two accounts linked), the unread message shows up ONLY in the All Inboxes folder, not under either of the mail accounts individually. I have tried the following:

- Enabled the Unread Mail smart folder. This shows the same 1 unread message but when I open it, it say I have no unread messages

- Turned off each mail account individually. Turning off either account eliminates the unread message flag, so it isn't associated with just one of the accounts

Turning back the off account back on brings back the flags.

- Gone in to each account, selected all messages, marked them read then marked them unread

- Hard reset - no change.

Any thoughts here? This is feeling like a bug.

iPhone 6, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 8:13 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 9:49 AM

Getting weirder. Now it's showing that I have 4,294,967,295 unread emails in the All Inboxes folder when the phone is in use. If I get an actual e-mail, that drops to 2 in All Inboxes and 1 in the mail account in which I received the message.

74 replies

Sep 17, 2015 1:15 PM in response to SkierDan

SkierDan

I too have seen this problem today (in the UK). My iPhone 5S was showing just over 4 million unread messages in my "All inboxes" folder, but now this has sorted itself out (don't know how). However, my iPad still shows 7,755 unread emails in the "All inboxes" folder. Try as I may, I can't get this sorted.

Come on Apple, please sort this in release IOS9.01. Looking back through the feedback on those IOS9.0 beta releases, this seems to be a problem that has reared its ugly head before.....

Sep 19, 2015 1:38 AM in response to SkierDan

Upgraded my iPhone6 to iOS9 yesterday and indeed all incoming emails box shows 2987 whereas all individual email accounts (11) have no unread emails at all. Dit the same with my iPad and have 110 unreads in the all incoming emails box. Same problem but just 3 email accounts on that device. Awaiting Apple Support solution too. There is apparently some sort of counting per mailbox. But what exactly and how can we rectify it?

Sep 20, 2015 7:17 AM in response to SkierDan

I have tried all fixes known to man. This includes nuking my iPhone6 and restoring from my computer. I still have 7330 "unread" emails showing on my phone when there are no unread emails. It is not just the annoyance of seeing unread message flags, it is the data usage that this leads to on cell phone networks. The phone looks for these messages and tries to download them. Its consumes data -- my monthly usage was eaten up completely today due to this problem. Serious bummer. Had I known I would definitely not taken the IOS9 upgrade. AVOID until this bug is fixed.

Sep 21, 2015 6:08 AM in response to jjkraw

After downloading ioS9 yesterday, I have joined the long list of victims of the unread email message. In the All Inboxes space there are 32318 unread emails but none showing in either of the email accounts. This did not exist prior to the upgrade to ioS9.

Also, like others, I have tried the email on/off within settings and the "mark as read" in each of the accounts as well as turning the phone off and back on.

This is obviously an issue and requires a fix. COME ON APPLE.

iphone 5s

Sep 21, 2015 8:40 AM in response to SkierDan

I got my 2987 emails back to zero in the all incoming mailbox after upgrading to iOS9. I am not completely sure how I did it to be honest, but what I do know is that the problem occurred with the POP mailboxes. I logged in to look at their settings and changed settings such as the number of days after which messages should be deleted from the server (which in some instances whas labeled "never") and during this process and restarts of my iphone, I suddenly noticed that one of my accounts showed unread emails of 250 (which had not shown anything before, because the unreads were only shown in the all incoming mailbox on my phone). I scrolled this email box on my iphone completely down to locate these messages and when I reached the last one, the iphone started downloading the next batch of 500 and so on. When I reached the last one I selected all and marked read. This reduced the all incoming box with some 1700. Then I started to scroll down in other POP mailboxes hoping the same would happen. Unfortunately I first had to change some settings again of these email accounts. And then by pursuing I located two other accounts where eventually the same happened. I hope this may help you to find a solution for this miserable time wasting thing. Good luck!

Unread mail showing in All Inboxes only with iOS9

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.