Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Having issues transferring pictures from iPhoto folder to new OS X Yosemite Photos app

Hi all,

I just downloaded OS X Yosemite on my mid-2011 Macbook Air. When I tried to open Photos, it said that I need to upgrade my iPhoto collection using the free iPhoto Library Updater through Apple. Well, I downloaded this upgrader and executed the program through utilities, but it will not allow me to upgrade my iPhoto library. Basically, it won't let me "select" iPhoto Library in Pictures when I go to "Choose library...". It just won't let me click on it! The automatic folder it selects is my iPhoto Library that was saved on Dropbox, which is new enough where it doesn't need an update at all and can be downloaded through the Photos app immediately. The problem with this is that I don't have much Dropbox space, so only a small portion of my iPhotos are saved on there. I need to use my original iPhoto library folder from my previous software, but it won't let me upgrade it on iPhoto Library Updater! Anyone have similar problems with this? Ideas or solutions?

Thanks!!

MacBook Air, OS X Yosemite (10.10.5)

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 9:35 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 10:22 AM

Which version of iPhoto created your libraries?

You do only need the iPhoto Library upgrader, if the library has been created by iPhoto 7.1.2 or earlier. Any library created by iPhoto '09 or later cannot be selected in iPhoto Library Upgrader.

See: iPhoto '11: About the Library Upgrader

3 replies

Sep 17, 2015 10:22 AM in response to léonie

Hi! Thanks for your helpful reply. I was running iPhoto version 9.5.1, so I guess that explains it. So why then does the Photos app demand that I need to upgrade my iPhotos library to a newer version before opening in Photos? It is telling me that it's too old, even though it isn't.

I went ahead and uploaded what I had from Dropbox, and the rest came through via iCloud, but I don't even want to use Dropbox as my main Photos library location (which is what it is set at now)! I don't want to use Dropbox at all I only want to use iCloud. I'm confused why it didn't just let me use my iPhotos library folder that I had on my hard drive.

Having issues transferring pictures from iPhoto folder to new OS X Yosemite Photos app

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.