Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iOS 9 Podcast App crashes on launch

iPhone 5. Just installed iOS 9. When I tap the Podcast app, I get the "Updating Library" spinner for about 10 seconds...

...then crash.

I've tried numerous times, and have shut down/restarted the iPhone. I do use the Podcast app a lot, so it would be nice to get some advice, or to hear from others if it's a common issue.

iPhone 5, iOS 9

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 11:05 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Sep 17, 2015 10:30 PM

I have the same thing - since updating this morning.

8 replies

Sep 23, 2015 10:05 AM in response to akjim2

Agree. I had the same problem with iPhone 6.

Backup your phone to the cloud. Then get iDrive, free app, backup your cloud data. Do as akjim2 writes.

[A side note addition. Set your "Notes" to be backed up. That is all I permanently lost. I had not realized I only had them on the phone. So only my cloud notes were saved. ]

After no one had experience so early I went to Apple Genius so the problem has at least one report directly to Apple.

Also tech concurred with me that somehow my cloud had been corrupted. Only affected Podcast as far as I can see. All I did was accept the iOS 9 update.

Yes, I deleted my old backups. A new phone. Yep.

Also, I sync my iphone through my Apple computer.

Oct 21, 2015 11:49 PM in response to Michael_C

The problem was solved with the 9.0.2 update!

Unfortunately now I'm seeing a different bug - the audio will drop the first time I open another (non-audio) app while a podcast is playing - I have to go back and hit play again. After that first time though, the problem doesn't happen again (until the next time I open the Podcasts app). But at least now I get podcasts again!

Nov 25, 2015 10:47 AM in response to Michael_C

Hello Michael,

this says the problem is 'SOLVED' in big bright green letters, but neither your clearly worded description of the the self-admittedly kludgy workaround or the actual problem...i.e., I am on iOS 9.1 and STILL cannot use the podcast app - not ONE SINGLE time - no matter what I do. It launches, I can see the missing, updated podcasts start to be updated in the 'updating episodes' section only to have it crash second three to ten - EVER SINGLE TIME.

Please advise.

I have not heard a podcast, on ANY of my apple mobile devices since iOS 9 and judging from these forum posts, I am far from alone.

Thank you in advance and happy turkey day and tryptophan-coma-weekend 😉

iOS 9 Podcast App crashes on launch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.